Cars Once Updated to Now Less Desirable Models.

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Cars Once Updated to Now Less Desirable Models.

Post by Swift »

There are a few instances I remember where someone I know has updated their car that would now be more valuable as a classic, with a less desirable run of the mill vehicle that it's now considered inferior.
One was a lady who "updated" a well kept blue HR Holden sedan with a blue Datsun Sunny in the early 80s. I guess colour and date of manufacture is all she cared about.
Another involving a Datsun was my next door neighbour who "updated" her 1973 Datsun 1600 column automatic with a new Toyota Corolla in 1983, even though the Corolla had a pushrod engine and live rear axle over independent rear end and over head cam four of the 1600. Times were sure different then!
One final example that stands out was my high school maths teacher who replaced his 1970s Toyota Corona Mark II with a new or near new XF Falcon series II in 1987 despite the Falcon having an ageing push rod 4.1 litre that liked to drink over the Corona's brilliant little overhead cam inline six. I travelled in a couple a kid and really noticed their super smooth engines. Lovely refined machines and something different.
I'm sure someone's got better examples of this folly.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
homer9000

Re: Cars Once Updated to Now Less Desirable Models.

Post by homer9000 »

I can add to that.due to seatbelt laws coming into force in south australia in 1980 we sold off our fiat x1/9 for an alfa sud sprint.granted i was too big at age 2 almost 3 to have squeezed under the tunnel and my brother 5 going on 6 way too big to sit on moms lap but i always wondered who bought it off us and what it was sold for in the time that followed.the sad part was it was not till the late eighties we could look at the new age of dual income no kids sports cars and by 1988 by the time i was 10 and my brother was 13 the only realistic option was the nissan exa 1.8.all the others we considered like the toyota mr2 or the honda crx would have meant for school transport us kids taking it in turns for who has to take the train/bus combo or bus in the mornings while mom would pick us up in the mercedes.

Return to “The Lunch Room”