[NSW] Sydney Police Car Code IW

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Ikarbus

[NSW] Sydney Police Car Code IW

Post by Ikarbus »

Wondering if anyone else has noticed police cars in the inner west area now sporting "IW" as the prefix on their bonnet code. I would assume it stands for inner west, but does anyone know what it actually represents? So far as I know, all the LACs have their own station codes e.g. AS=Ashfield, NT=Newtown, LE=Leichhardt etc.

Cheers
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: [NSW] Sydney Police Car Code IW

Post by boronia »

Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Ikarbus

Post by Ikarbus »

Thanks.

Interesting that some stations have been grouped into so called PACs (Police Area Command?), I can't find the official acronym explanation.

E.g. Ashfield is now part of Burwood PAC, whereas previously it was it's own LAC. Wonder if this will result in a whole lot of new codes coming out....
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I couldn't find any explanation of it either, but ISTR there was talk a while back about amalgamating some smaller LACs to reduce the management levels.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

boronia wrote:I couldn't find any explanation of it either, but ISTR there was talk a while back about amalgamating some smaller LACs to reduce the management levels.
Cost cutting is basically what it is getting at. You thin out the middle management ranks as the LAC command structure is replicated in the PAC structure which covers larger territorial areas.

Return to “The Lunch Room”