Windows version 10

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Windows version 10

Post by Fleet Lists »

I converted to version 10 this morning and despite some of the comments I have heard about it, I am most impressed with some of the new features such as the combined email monitoring feature.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Windows version 10

Post by Fleet Lists »

I am basically a Firefox user but I just noticed that Internet Explorer has been replaced by a new browser called Edge which looks very similar to what shows on my tablet.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I did the upgrade a couple of weeks ago. It looked good, but every time I tried to open a Word or Excel document (in Office 365) the applicable program would crash.

Went back to Win 7 and everything worked fine again.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
scott

Post by scott »

My laptop has been converted to Windows 10, and Explorer is still there if you type Internet Explorer into the search bar you should get it.
macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 »

boronia wrote:I did the upgrade a couple of weeks ago. It looked good, but every time I tried to open a Word or Excel document (in Office 365) the applicable program would crash.

Went back to Win 7 and everything worked fine again.
Did you try reinstalling Office?

Also I found I had to do a quick scan and repair of Windows files to get Outlook working properly again as emails were getting stuck in my Outbox.
Essentially, run Command Prompt as an administrator, then run the command

Code: Select all

sfc /scannow
Perhaps you could have tried that to see if it made a difference.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I tried the upgrade again, and got the same result.

I got onto MS tech support, and they found a couple of old programs causing some conflict. Removed these, and working fine now (I hope).
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have found that some dates in excel files have changed from dmy to myd. I can chage them to display OK. But I have not been able resolve the input as yet which I now have to in mdy format as it will not accept dmy. I have gone to file to text to change the relevant setting to dmy but then it seems to get changed back to mdy - I dont know why.
Living in the Shire.
macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 »

It's probably a language setting problem - there are a couple of places to check that English (Australia) is selected:
- Inside Excel Options (File -> Options), there is a setting under Language
- Cell formatting - Select the affected cells, then Ctrl-1 to open the Format Cells dialog box. Ensure the correct locale is selected under Date.
- System-wide settings - Search for "Region" in the start menu/screen and check that everything there is set correctly
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I had already done the first two but thanks for the suggestion for Regions where I changed the region name for the date which seems to have solved the problem.
Living in the Shire.
macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 »

No worries.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I now have another problem in that when I hover the mouse over the restore button at the top right hand corner in any window, it shows "restore down" but when I click on it, nothing happens. On the other hand when I try to open any excel files they go straight to the "restored down" size but wont open. They show in the Task View but when I click on any of them again nothing happens. When I try to close down, the files and excel itself are listed as items which can not close. So I need to override that.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Resolved - somehow I had got into tablet mode.
Living in the Shire.
Randommann
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O305

Post by Randommann »

I upgraded to Windows 10 about a week after it launched, on a computer I built shortly beforehand (It had 8.1 on it originally) and I am quite impressed with it. I've had no technical issues with it so far and I am pleased that it was stable enough for me even at launch (I was worried that it wouldn't be given from the state of even the later Technical Preview versions in comparison to 7 and 8.1).
My only (small) problems with it, which are interface-based, are the fact that the Search bar is on the taskbar instead of the Start Menu by default (And that's just personal preference - I bet others appreciate the change), and also the fact that it doesn't like pinning the normal desktop Skype on the start menu either (Of course it wants you to use the modern app :roll: ).

And there is also the privacy stuff, which concerns me, but that is something on its own.
Which reminds me, all of my complaints really are just me failing to adapt to modern conventions in a way (After having used 'Classic Start' in Windows 8.1).
"100 speed limited... by drivetrain."

I will report and cover any significant bus events from the Armidale region.
macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 »

Randommann wrote: My only (small) problems with it, which are interface-based, are the fact that the Search bar is on the taskbar instead of the Start Menu by default
You can hide the search box if you want and even the search icon in the taskbar if you want, without turning off the search functionality. Right click the task bar, then go up to Search and choose your option. I generally just hit the Start button and type away, which goes straight into search. Just one of my old Windows 7 habits.
Randommann wrote:it doesn't like pinning the normal desktop Skype on the start menu either (Of course it wants you to use the modern app :roll: ).
Are you pinning the right Skype shortcut? The desktop Skype shortcut in the Start Menu is inside the "Skype" folder. I just tried it fine.
I immediately uninstalled the "modern" Skype when I first upgraded. Load of crappy bloatware.
Randommann
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O305

Post by Randommann »

macpro622776 wrote:You can hide the search box if you want and even the search icon in the taskbar if you want, without turning off the search functionality. Right click the task bar, then go up to Search and choose your option. I generally just hit the Start button and type away, which goes straight into search. Just one of my old Windows 7 habits.
I did hide the search bar, but I didn't know the latter fact. Thanks for that! Seems I'm rather in-ambitious with finding simple things.
macpro622776 wrote:Are you pinning the right Skype shortcut? The desktop Skype shortcut in the Start Menu is inside the "Skype" folder. I just tried it fine.
I immediately uninstalled the "modern" Skype when I first upgraded. Load of crappy bloatware.
It is probably that issue. I'll check (And fix if possible) tomorrow when I come back home. Thanks again!
And I do agree - desktop Skype FTW.
"100 speed limited... by drivetrain."

I will report and cover any significant bus events from the Armidale region.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It is a couple of months since I posted about Windows 10.

Some time in October Windows 10 crashed on me. After I had intermittent problems where some days it worked correctly and on other days, I only had limited windows 10 facilities and right clicking on icons in the task bar did not work and depressing the Windows key resulted in a message that the necessary ap was missing , that I should sign out and that it would be fixed next time I signed in - which happened some times but most times the problem was still there.

After contacting Windows support a number of times, they finally totally reinstalled Widows 10 which took some 8 hours. Worked OK for a couple of days and then the problem was back with message that a different ap was missing. Whenever I contacted support again they suggested Windows 10 again be reinstalled but no guarantee that it would fix the problem.

The problem appeared to be one of the symptoms described in http://windowstechies.com/-/en/filename ... Al6n8P8HAQ
Last Saturday I received some major updates to Windows 10 which seems to have finally solved the problem - some more updates on Monday.

But the updates also appear to have caused some new problems as described in http://www.techradar.com/au/news/softwa ... 16-1311665
Living in the Shire.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

I get that all the time too, Windows 10 is very buggy overall. The November update/1511 has reduced the task bar failure a bit but it still occurs. It used to happen every 2-3 days but now it's every 2 weeks. I'm thinking of completely reinstalling it, I'm not sure if it will help. Clearly there needs to be a better fix. Regardless, the new era of Microsoft being a more responsive company (a la Apple) is a failure in my eyes.

(Geez, I'm wondering why I'm up early on Boxing Day)
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

Main issues I seem to have are occasionally the tab key doesn't seem to want to work (happens on my work PC and my home machines), and sometimes the Start menu doesn't want to go away (but this only seems to happen with Teamviewer so may be a Teamviewer bug more than a Windows 10 one).

My biggest complaint is that there is now no middle ground for Windows Update obtaining drivers, it's either "Windows Update always gets drivers and pretty icons for you" or "Windows Update never gets drivers or pretty icons for you" - my preferred setting was "Windows Update only gets drivers when Windows doesn't actually have the drivers but will always get pretty icons for you"
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

One of my work employee install windows 10 on their work computers, and its suck arse
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
boronia

Post by boronia »

HAs anyone had problems with printers after upgrading?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Douglas
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Landseer

Post by Douglas »

boronia wrote:HAs anyone had problems with printers after upgrading?
A client of ours had an Epson multifunction that refused to do anything other than scan under it, however the last driver update for it was for Vista and it said "use Windows Update" - it was a fairly old printer.

What kind of issues are you having and what printer? It may be a case of a driver update if that's the case as Windows 8 and newer tend to prefer generic Class drivers over proper dedicated drivers.
GazzaOak wrote:One of my work employee install windows 10 on their work computers, and its suck arse
If they've done it in the last 30 days, haven't run a disk cleanup and did an upgrade, you can go back to the previous version quite easily.
Douglas, Professional Nerd, At Your Service.

Return to “The Lunch Room”