Electric scooters and public transport

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Electric scooters and public transport

Post by crazyturbo76 »

Hey guys, just a quick question (I would have posted this in the Ask a Simple Question section but didn't know whether it was appropriate to do so):

Is it legal to carry electric scooters onto public transport? I'm starting uni soon and I thought I might buy an electric scooter, to alleviate the stresses of walking to and from a bus stop and/or Schofields station (I'll be going to UWS Nirimba). It's a 14 minute walk to uni from the station or a four minute walk if I catch the 752 from Blacktown Station, but I thought maybe grabbing a scooter and taking it with me might make it easier to get around.

I know some bus companies have no issue with carrying big disability scooters, but I think the rules are different with bikes and small scooters.

Cheers,
Josh :)
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Re: Electric scooters and public transport

Post by Mitch »

I'd say touch base with TFNSW or whatever the department is called. Generally it has laws regarding things like that mentioned on their website.

Thanks,
Mitchul :)
mubd

Post by mubd »

As far as I understand, no petrol/dangerous goods in the engine means yes you can carry them onto a bus

HOWEVER, electric scooters are HUGELY illegal to ride on a public footpath and there have been many posts to police Facebook pages showing people getting fined for riding unregistered motorised vehicles.

See here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comments ... or_riding/

So as far as I can see, your best legal option would be a razor scooter or a skateboard.
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

mubd wrote:As far as I understand, no petrol/dangerous goods in the engine means yes you can carry them onto a bus

HOWEVER, electric scooters are HUGELY illegal to ride on a public footpath and there have been many posts to police Facebook pages showing people getting fined for riding unregistered motorised vehicles.

See here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comments ... or_riding/

So as far as I can see, your best legal option would be a razor scooter or a skateboard.
I don't see what the problem is with riding electric scooters! As long as the person riding it is wearing appropriate protective gear it should be fine-it's like the trouble with the motorised esky a coupla weeks back. Just another method for the state to pour money into the Crown reserves.
And bail out politicians who have done the wrong thing and wind up facing scandals as a result.

I may as well just get a push scooter, it'll most likely only be a 5-minute push scooter run from Schofields station to UWS Nirimba anyway. ;)

Return to “The Lunch Room”