Aldis,Coles,Woolies,IGA or which supermarket

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Scottwa2468

Re: Aldis,Coles,Woolies,IGA or which supermarket

Post by Scottwa2468 »

As In my town we only have Coles and Woolies I do about $95% of my shopping at Woolies,even when I lived in Perth Woolies was my first choice
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Re: Aldis,Coles,Woolies,IGA or FOODLAND!

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

1. Woolworths
2. Foodland
3. IGA
4. Coles
5. Aldis

No Aldis in SA, so that is at the bottom. I go to Woolies, but prefer Foodland (South Australian Supermarket) and hate Coles. I get my fruit and veggies at the Handorf Market Garden. I I just need something quick like milk or bread, i will go to the Heathfield Deli.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

I still use Woolies as my one stop shop for the majority of groceries, but there are a few things I grab from Coles as well (like bug spray, Coles branded surface spray works wonders). I don't really use Aldi as it is a bit of a walk from Mt Druitt Interchange...
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

Woolies, don't like Aldi as I don't like shopping and there is no way you can do a complete shop at Aldi.
The 2 majors are much the same, we have been a Woolies supplier for over 20 years and they are great to deal with, no issues with price if you require an increase, as long as you can make a reasonable case.
Bunnings are much the same as Coles to deal with, we gave up on Coles many,many years ago when they kept lossing pallets of stuff.
Put a product into Bunnings (exclusively), manager changed, deleted the product because he thought too expensive. Was selling well so ????
The way they work is a long story but makes stuff way more expensive than needed to be.
Thebusofdoom
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Thebusofdoom »

In my house its a mix between Aldi, Coles and a greengrocer. There's no Wollies nearby in my part of the world.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

give it time if you have coles and aldi woolies will follow!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Lt. Commander Data

captainch wrote:give it time if you have coles and aldi woolies will follow!
Except in SA where Aldi are not. They say they are going to put one in Elizabeth (a outer northern suburb), but that is nowhere near the Adelaide Hills (where i live). I went to aldi on the Gold cost and i liked it
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Lidl which is Aldi rival is thinking of marking there territory here in Australia next year Lidl has been scouting around for sites to build there stores which be interesting to see.
www.lidl-info.com/
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
captainch

Post by captainch »

what states they looking at! :shock:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Perth and WA is one place Lidl looking at but nothing else has come up as to where Lidl looking at to set up shop but at least we have Aldi till Lidl come on scene Captain.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
captainch

Post by captainch »

i DON'T mind aldi you only need one brand of peanut butter ect and you save money peanut butter is peanut butter and I like the WIDE isles you get what you want and out! :lol:
nbus
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE [Volgren]

Post by nbus »

Aldi is now coming to SA and WA in the next few weeks. I saw some stuff on it last night.
Lt. Commander Data

captainch wrote:what states they looking at! :shock:
You could bet everything you own that they are not coming to SA
nbus wrote:Aldi is now coming to SA and WA in the next few weeks. I saw some stuff on it last night.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I thought this day would never come!
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
captainch wrote:give it time if you have coles and aldi woolies will follow!
Except in SA where Aldi are not. They say they are going to put one in Elizabeth (a outer northern suburb), but that is nowhere near the Adelaide Hills (where i live). I went to aldi on the Gold cost and i liked it
There was something on ACA the other night, mentioned something about Aldi opening at Seaford. Still probably not much use to you. But once they start they will need to keep going because it can be very expensive to have just one store.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Lt. Commander Data

boronia wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:
There was something on ACA the other night, mentioned something about Aldi opening at Seaford. Still probably not much use to you. But once they start they will need to keep going because it can be very expensive to have just one store.
I have not been to Seaford for 6 months, so this is new learning to me

Thanks
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

One of the pitfalls at Aldi is they get some really good products, you get hooked on them, then after a few weeks they either change the supplier (and the replacement equivalent is nowhere near as good) or they discontinue the line altogether.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Lt. Commander Data

boronia wrote:One of the pitfalls at Aldi is they get some really good products, you get hooked on them, then after a few weeks they either change the supplier (and the replacement equivalent is nowhere near as good) or they discontinue the line altogether.
That happened to me with a particular type of tea once. I had it for maybe a month and then they stopped docking it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

I find some of Aldi's regular stocked food to be quite tasty eg. the Pies and Yoghurt.
captainch

Post by captainch »

DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE noticed but recentlly my local WOOLWORTHS more and more BRAND names stock is disappearing of the shelves to be replaced by woolworths select brand! :cry: :roll: :evil: :twisted:
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Aldi makes a huge difference to the hole in your pocket.

When we were living in central Europe in 2012 we noticed how our money went miles further, so I thought I'd keep a record to check against.

I kept the docket of our last big shop at the supermarket in Plzen and for our typical major shop of 60 items it was about $90. Not an exactly scientific "basket" to compare but we buy pretty much the same things every time.

Come back to Australia and the similar 60 items at Coles first time is $375. Heart attack after 6 months away from it! :shock: :shock: :shock:

So our usual approach is to do as much as we can at Aldi and top up at Coles. (My wife gets home deliveries from Woolworths sometimes and they cost over $500, FMD!)

So at around the same time I kept the dockets for the similar 60 items at such an Aldi/Coles top-up shop and it was $136 for 36 items at Aldi and $151 for 24 items at Coles. Total $287. A lot better than just using either Woolworths or Coles ("the Colesworths duopoly" I call it).
MaxHeadway

Post by MaxHeadway »

tonyp wrote:I kept the docket of our last big shop at the supermarket in Plzen and for our typical major shop of 60 items it was about $90 ... Come back to Australia and the similar 60 items at Coles first time is $375
In other words, three times as much in real terms, if ILO figures (average wages in PPP dollars; admittedly from 2009) are anything to go by. :shock:

Even bringing the cost down to $287 still makes it twice as expensive as in the Czech Republic.
You used to have to pay money to see a freak show; now you have to pay NOT to.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

To add insult to injury a lot of products are the same international brand but 3x the price in Australia. They were selling Jacobs Creek wine in the Plzen supermarket for about $7 a bottle (and European wine for about $3!) Of course there are about 8 competing supermarket chains in CZ. I bet that makes a difference.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

(Australian) Cheese was very expensive in China. It depends on how much tariff the government puts onto certain exports.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Most of the time, I go to Coles where I use my Flybuys card to earn points. Every dollar would receive one Flybuys Point.
When I go to Woolworths, I have to spend at least $10 on Fruit and Vegetables to earn Woolies Dollars.
IGA - I seldom head off to this supermarket
Spud Shed - Prices on foods and other groceries are cheap.
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

I buy most of my groceries from Foodland.There are a lot of them.I buy coles online once in awhile.

Return to “The Lunch Room”