Aldis,Coles,Woolies,IGA or which supermarket

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Aldis,Coles,Woolies,IGA or which supermarket

Post by boronia »

I've noticed over the last few months that Coles are starting to stock a lot of Aldi "replica" products at the same prices.

With a newly opened Coles much more convenient than my my nearest Aldi, the financial incentive to go there is being eroded.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Aldi dont simply have the range compared to Coles. Coles is my closest supermarket and its a quite a large new store as well. Aldi has long queues clustered stores it feels messy doesn't have good presentation.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

We drive out of our way to go to Adelaide's finest supermarket. Frewville Foodland. Over the last few months Aldi stores have finally been opening in SA, but they don't have much choice. However what they do have is dirt cheap.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
boronia

Post by boronia »

Frosty wrote:Aldi dont simply have the range compared to Coles. Coles is my closest supermarket and its a quite a large new store as well. Aldi has long queues clustered stores it feels messy doesn't have good presentation.
"Good presentation" just adds to the end cost of the product. I find Aldi's is satisfactory.

Aldi might have longer queues, but the turnover is much quicker than Colesworths.
@ The Museum of Fire.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

WE have more I.G.A. STORES which I find the dearest & not much choice stores are cluted with boxes similar to the old franklens..we also have a couple of coles & more woollies & 2 ALDI! Prefer woollies but some items they don't stock & you have to go to COLES the good thing about woollies their "rainchecks ' LAST 12 MONTHS I buy a lot of cat food with is $1.85 a can .when its on special FOR $1 A CAN GET A RAIN CHECK FOR 150 CANS then use it when the price goes back to normal ,COLES rainchecks last a month & I.G.A last 2 weeks also if you take the coles or wollies add I.G.A will match it! ALDI have good electrical goods & have had some that are still going after a couple years! YOU find with small country towns I.G.A IS usually the only suspermarket & their prises are higher! We have a local one,& most people only go there if its a urgent item like milk ect as the other supermarkets are further away!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Good presentation just makes life easier.

Woolies really does have checkout issues like compare it to Coles during peak times. I was at Coles Bondi Jn Westfield then 10 minutes later at Woolies the queues were double the length then Coles. Woolies seems to have half the number of self serve checkouts compared to Coles at similarly sized stores.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

I went to all execpt Aldi where I have no experience with it even if there is one in WA.Mostly I now use the delivery service from Woolies too.

Sent from my Lenovo A399 using Tapatalk
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Zidanehartono wrote:I went to all execpt Aldi where I have no experience with it even if there is one in WA.Mostly I now use the delivery service from Woolies too.

There are a few of the Aldis that have been opened in WA. But there's still more to come!
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Shoudy Chen wrote:
Zidanehartono wrote:I went to all execpt Aldi where I have no experience with it even if there is one in WA.Mostly I now use the delivery service from Woolies too.

There are a few of the Aldis that have been opened in WA. But there's still more to come!
Sure is,one in Cannington is just under construction.
captainch

Post by captainch »

NOTICED TODAY that when woollies gave you a rain check on a item it lasted for 1 year our local store owed us 100 tins of cat food at $1 per can when it was on special instead of usual price of $2.35 a can.............SO SINCE MOVING INTERSTATE woolies now give you rain checks that only lasts a month.So spoke to store manager he gave us a chech for 100 cans & will have them in store in 3 days! noticed how much cheeper prices are here.also they have done away with the tokens in their trollys but the wheels lock outside of carpark similar to coles!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

From the latest news reports it appears that up ro 25 Woolworth supermarkets are going to be closed. No details as to which ones.
Living in the Shire.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Just went to a Foodland in the western suburbs of Adelaide, and the young b_tch literally dropped the coins right into my hand, instead of just handing them to me like a responsible and considerate worker.

The coins themselves would carry far more bacteria and germs than what the hands of the customer would. Learn how to respect your customers lady.
boronia

Post by boronia »

captainch wrote:noticed how much cheeper prices are here.also they have done away with the tokens in their trollys but the wheels lock outside of carpark similar to coles!
Food in restaurants ain't cheaper. Was horrified at what they were charging for a basic breakfast feed when I was up there last year. :shock:
@ The Museum of Fire.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Coles or Woolworths or IGA. Aldi seems to be a knock-off seller (like Bio-Cult is an Aldi knock-off of Yakult)
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I notice Aldi are now selling some "brand name" products alongside their own, but not much cheaper than Coles
@ The Museum of Fire.
Lt. Commander Data

I miss Bi-Lo. I wonder whether other states used to have Bi-Lo as well? It was bought out by Westfarmers (Coles, Bunnings, Officeworks, etc). Some were turned into Coles, but the Stirling one is now an IGA. The Mt Barker Coles used to be a Bi-Lo.

Woolworths are opening another store in Mt Barker, halfway to Wistow in preperation for the new developments out that way. They will have two stores in Mt Barker, with the other one being on Walker Street in the centre of town.

Mt Barker will be Sa's 2nd City in 20-30 years, but there is still no BigW or Target or anything like that, just the nation's worst K-Mart. Murray Bridge has better shops for crying out loud.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Coles owned Bi-Lo for many years, well before Wesfarmers bought out Coles. I think one of the classic examples of the rebranding of Bi-Lo to Coles is at the Ingle Farm shopping centre in SA. With a Coles, Bi-Lo and K-Mart being the majors, and a number of specialty stores in the shopping centre. The Bi-Lo was rebranded as a Coles and to this day there are still two Coles supermarkets in the same shopping centre.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
captainch

Post by captainch »

am susprised that ALDI is not outside BRISBANE thought a big city like Townsville would have at lest one ALDI store! plus a lot of the big stores DO NOT OPEN ON SUNDAYS in qld! :shock: :roll:
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

So that's the reason for it is it? I was wondering whether or not it was an attempt to prevent Woolworths from opening a store in what was then a vacant spot at the southern end of this shopping centre.

It probably explains in a way why I haven't seen a Bi-Lo for years now.

Nonetheless, it was much less of a PITA to go to the southern one to do weekly shopping. EB Games should try this, since I've waited for over 45 minutes at times just to buy a game, to prevent having to download it through Steam or whatever.
Lt. Commander Data

I see Bi-Lo shopping trolleys from time to time, although I think they're all gone now. I know the IGA where the Bi-Lo used to be in Stirling took ages to put their name on their trolleys.
captainch

Post by captainch »

MOST of bi-lo stores in N.S.W were rebranded to coles if there was a coles already there they were sold to foodworks or became a I.G.A STORE.

Return to “The Lunch Room”