XBox or PlayStation 3?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Brendan03
Favourite Vehicle: Not an S set.

XBox or PlayStation 3?

Post by Brendan03 »

Hey guys.

I've been looking at GTA-V (Grand Theft Auto 5) which will be coming out somewhere between March 20th and June 21st - I'm currently looking at my options as at this point, It's not being released for PC (and even if it is, I doublt my Core 2 Duo could keep up, despite the 1GB GTS250 card I've got in it) so I'm just weighing up whether or not to go for a PS3 or XBOX360.

I've done a little bit of investigation and tend to be leaning towards the XBox, despite the paid subscription for an online account and only having a DVD Drive.

The PS3 does have some appeal, having a free subscription to the PlayStation Network (PSN) and having a BluRay drive (plus I have more experience using the PS3 Media Center function which has quite a nice interface)

I'd like to get some feedback from some users on here (and preferably not any extremist fanboy comments)

Thanks,
Brendan.
I just wish we could all get along like we used to in Middle School, I wish that I could bake a cake made of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.
Randommann
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O305

Re: XBox or PlayStation 3?

Post by Randommann »

Hi, Brendan03.

I don't know that much but I'll give you all advice I know of.

I do know that the original Xbox 360 models had a high rate of encountering problems, including the dreaded "Red Ring of Death". If you are buying a new one, I don't think the redesigned model is nearly as bad with technical problems, but don't trust me on that last sentence. I've heard of a few instances with the limited capacity of DVDs on the Xbox 360 in regards to games needing multiple discs as opposed to their PS3 counterparts, with Final Fantasy XIII being an example. I don't know whether this will effect GTA-V or not, but just putting it out there.

I have neither a PS3 or Xbox 360, but if I had a choice, I would slightly lean over to the PS3. I prefer the Xbox 360's controller but I like the PS3's features as you mentioned like the Blu-Ray drive and free subscription, on top of the lesser likelihood of problems.

What you could also put in mind though is what other games you may get for the console, if any. As you may know there are console-exclusive franchises on each console, such as Halo on the 360 and Uncharted and Gran Turismo on the PS3. If you are going to get any other games which may be exclusive to one console than use this as a consideration.

Just my 2 cents worth though; I'll be fine if you pick either. Both are fine gaming machines. Good luck!

The Man of Randomness.
"100 speed limited... by drivetrain."

I will report and cover any significant bus events from the Armidale region.
mubd

Post by mubd »

I own an Xbox 360.

I think it's highly likely that GTA V will be released on the Xbox 360 with multiple discs. If you don't want disc swapping, go with the PS3. The Blu-Ray player is also a nice added bonus for the PS3.

When comparing GTA IV on both consoles, it seems that graphics quality is lesser on the PS3 - it's known that the game runs at a lower resolution on the PS3 (640p upscaled to 720p - not good), and I understand the frame rate was lower on the PS3 but this might be fixed by the time GTA V is released.

If you're planning on playing online, the PS3 is free while the Xbox 360 is a paid subscription. If you play online a lot, it might work out that the PS3 is cheaper in the long run. The Xbox 360, however, is considerably cheaper up front. The Xbox 360 4GB console is $199, the PS3 12GB console is $249 at JB Hi-Fi.

I think the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are about equal with regards to reliability at the moment - Microsoft has fixed the issues with the Xbox and Sony has redesigned the PS3 twice to be much smaller.

There isn't much between them, so go with what your gut tells you, but wait until a few days before launch, just in case something like DLC is announced exclusive to one console.

This is coming from someone who bought GTA IV on release day, 6 months before buying a console, so I'm a pretty big GTA fan. I still enjoy playing GTA IV on my PC. Personally, I'm waiting for a special edition to be announced so I can pre-order that.
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
Brendan03

Post by Brendan03 »

Thanks for the comments!

I spoke to a US friend of mine about it and he explained that the XBOX (specifically the larger drive model, in this case) may have the ability to load further content to the hard drive to avoid disk swapping (and you just use Disk 1 as an 'activation' method, similar to FlightSim 2004 (which we both play))

What I may do is wait for GTA-V to come out on both consoles and weigh up the reviews afterwards.

The new XBOX does look a lot better than the earlier models with the Red-Ring-Of-Death problems (though the design of the earlier models does look nicer) - I saw that Sony have released another generation of PS3 which is of a cheaper construction.

I think if I were to go for either console, I'd go for the top-end model, not the 4GB or 12GB 'Arcade' models.

I may have to put this on the back-burner for the moment with the possibility of moving interstate soon, however, getting some facts and figures in the mean time will still be worth it so when the game launches, I've got more of an idea which avenue to take.

Thanks again. Appreciate it guys!
I just wish we could all get along like we used to in Middle School, I wish that I could bake a cake made of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.
mubd

Post by mubd »

Microsoft may enable some sort of activation feature that you say for GTA V, considering it's a huge selling game, but it hasn't been confirmed yet, and from what I understand, hasn't been used for any games before like LA Noire which uses four discs.

Also, there's a fairly high chance that Microsoft or Sony will announce their next console within the next few months, so consider that before buying anything.
mubd

Post by mubd »

Oh yes, and it's been delayed to September.
Brendan03

Post by Brendan03 »

mubd wrote:Oh yes, and it's been delayed to September.
What has? GTA or New console(s)?

I'll definitely be putting any new purchases on hold while I relocate so it's not so crucial that I find out more for the moment.
B10BLE
Favourite Vehicle: C63 AMG Black

Post by B10BLE »

Grand Theft Auto 5 is the one coming out on September 17 :(
Contra la Luna
C130

Post by C130 »

It may work out in your favour to wait before investigating a new console.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/31/sony ... aystation/
MetroTasCatcher
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Crown Victoria P71

Post by MetroTasCatcher »

Brendan03 wrote:
mubd wrote:Oh yes, and it's been delayed to September.
What has? GTA or New console(s)?

I'll definitely be putting any new purchases on hold while I relocate so it's not so crucial that I find out more for the moment.
Grand Theft Auto V has been delayed. Gone from the original 'Spring 2013' release date to 17 September 2013.
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Brendan03

Post by Brendan03 »

MetroTasCatcher wrote: Grand Theft Auto V has been delayed. Gone from the original 'Spring 2013' release date to 17 September 2013.
Oh thanks. I didn't see that. I guess it'll almost definitely be geared towards the new consoles then! ... which means come closer to September, I may have to start a new thread all over! :P

Thanks for the updates guys.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Although I don't own any game consoles, I would go for Xbox because this would have more games as well as catch up Tv shows
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

This topic isn't exactly relevant anymore, why would you drag it up?
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

busrider wrote:This topic isn't exactly relevant anymore, why would you drag it up?
It appears that msot topics which are relevant to this year are on page 2 of The Lunch Room, since all these older ones have pushed them out of the way. Here is a direct link: http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewf ... 8&start=50.

Still, at least a few interesting threads have surfaced. All back from when The Lunch Room (and ATDB in general) was well used...
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868

Return to “The Lunch Room”