Your worst subject(s) at school

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

scott

Post by scott »

What was your worst subject(s) during your school days?

Mine were Maths and Music, Having a maths test was like having a day in the magistrates court and getting the test results was like having your sentence handed down, But I did manage to pass some of them, albeit barely. My maths teacher in Year 11 suggested I should of been doing biblical studies. Music I only did in Year 7 and all I could do was get all the nice sounds on the keyboards and use the bender. The teacher threw me out one day, but I managed to get a D rather than a Fail.
Citybus

Re: Your worst subject(s) at school

Post by Citybus »

Stuffed up Chemistry, but did well in Maths though.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

Maths easily. I never passed a maths test after year 8.
Job done.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

How can a Hurlstone Graduate admit to that?

My worst would definitely have been music - I have no ear for that at all.
Living in the Shire.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

In order from outright hatred to mere contempt

Maths-although some parts like Algebra and Trigonometery I had suprising results in
Music
Year 11 and 12 English-where it stopped being an "English" class and started being analyising feelings and points of view in texts
PE [those who cant do, teach, those who can't teach teach PE]
Indonesian

Having said that 2 of my former teachers who I really respect and admire were both Maths teachers.
John

Post by John »

Maths was my least favourite and worst subject at school. It all went downhill after year 8, both a combination of not being strong at topics such as algebra and probability and from having a teacher who was unable to control the class and get on with teaching us. I ended up having tutoring from years 10-12 and studied Further Maths in VCE. I actually did rather well, but that was primarily because I am a practically minded person and Further Maths covered practical topics (e.g. financial maths, stats, networks, etc).

I failed Business Statistics in my first year of Uni, however that was due to my own (lack of) effort. The subject was 50% stats and 50% probability. Had I taken an optional test mid semester, I would have easily passed because the mid semester test only covered stats. Instead, I chose to not do the test which meant the final exam was more heavily weighted - a big mistake when the final exam was primarily based on probability, a topic I struggled with. I took the subject again the following year and passed with a credit.
Keep Melbourne Moving.
Vitalstatistix
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NL262 with VoithDIWA 851.3

Post by Vitalstatistix »

Probably the worst subjects at school for me were Classical Studies... I had great interest in it, but my results begged to differ.

However another subject I regreted ever taking is Geography. A rotten class, rotten teacher and a rotten waste of 50minutes - 1 hour each day of my year 11 :evil:
im zug zum flug

The road to success is always under construction.
Check out my Instagram @scottsiakia90
jarf
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA/Volgren CR228L

Post by jarf »

PE. Easily the biggest waste of five hours a week.

That said, I was surprisingly good at everything else even though my attendance was significantly lacking in year 12. :lol:
Random Gunzel Insanity - http://jarfness.blogspot.com/
MetroTasCatcher
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Crown Victoria P71

Post by MetroTasCatcher »

Mine has to be maths. Only passing with C's at the moment.

PE too, I'm not the most sporty person on the planet...
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
moto51
Favourite Vehicle: Coach Design MAN 24.420 14.5m

Post by moto51 »

Mine currently are history and English, my history teacher is good but I just hate it and English well it leaves a lot to be desired, since high school I haven't really learnt anything other than pointless sh!t that nobody cares about. my view is that English is anything that doesn't fit the other subjects, not how to do any of those basic things that you did in primary school that need refreshing. Geez here I am talking about primary school, that was a loooong time ago.
Explain your reasoning for putting the slowest, worst bus on the longest route. Surely it'd be more efficient to have a newer one. Where's my 8 speed M.A.N?
John

Post by John »

MetroTasCatcher wrote:PE too, I'm not the most sporty person on the planet...
I was never the most sporty person on the planet too. I was good at cycling and swimming, but neither were really covered in depth in PE which often meant I (and others with my skill level) were picked last and welcomed into a team with sighs and groans.

I remember a couple of times getting to be "captain" and picking all the "cool" kids last which actually annoyed them!
Keep Melbourne Moving.
scott

Post by scott »

Sport was another one of my bad subjects, but it was compulsory and very easy to pass, you just had the be there and try and partcipate as best you can, even if you could not run 500 metres without keeling over, partcipation was the key.

As far as maths goes, I was actually very good at statistics and actually did very well in Chance and Data units, but Algebra with all the silly "solve this for x" equations and geometry and trig really tested me, and bloody maths homework that took me hours. But I did Further Maths in Year 12 and had a great supportive teacher who knew my shortcomings and helped out when needed, That had a lot of statistics in it, but it more application type maths which I did better in, being able to use it in every day life. Using a graphics calculator and Excel really helped, as we did not sit and do problems every day, we based it on common situations such as X bus fleet needs to improve it's average fleet age, what would you suggest etc
Frances

Post by Frances »

Physics. I got by reasonably well with anthing else to do with science though. I don't think I ever got more than 40% in any tests or exams that were solely about Physics (from memory I think the worst mark I got for it was something like 23%).

Closely followed by Mathematics........
Two-Way
Favourite Vehicle: Simoco SRM-9000

Post by Two-Way »

franfran wrote:Physics. I got by reasonably well with anthing else to do with science though. I don't think I ever got more than 40% in any tests or exams that were solely about Physics (from memory I think the worst mark I got for it was something like 23%).
Yup Physics was my worst subject. But then when I went to TAFE as an electrical apprentice, suddenly everything we learnt in Physics fell into place. Weird.

English I only just passed, just!
Would you have a look at that K-Whopper hallin' that Wriggle Wagon hes got it to the floor and looking for more!
Posts here are my opinions and thoughts only.
eddy

Post by eddy »

19% in French then they decided i would be better off at a tech school than a high school
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Post by kitkat271 »

Hated PE - as someone who had no proficiency whatsoever for ball sports there was absolutely no place for me. And they wonder why we have an obesity problem ...
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

French & Geography, but my vote for most boring would have to be Accounting... Accountants are the most boring people on Earth, and have contributed to the rise of the most boring coloured car on earth, the silver car, in all it's shades of soul-less grey.

My Geography teacher once threatened to throw me out the window - which had some significance as a threat, because the classes were held on the first floor of the building..
Frances

Post by Frances »

Peter1805 wrote:Accountants are the most boring people on Earth
I would have thought that actuaries are more boring than accountants, but I suppose they're more or less a sub-species of accountant anyway.....
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Actuaries certainly earn the bickies though.

French was my worst subject but excelled in German - otherwise would have been shot by our most German of German teachers.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Irony? 8% for HSC General Maths and I end up managing multi million $$ programs.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Frances

Post by Frances »

Dave Wilson wrote:Actuaries certainly earn the bickies though.
I've heard it described as the ideal job for someone who wants to make a lot of money but not have a life.......
The King

Post by The King »

For me English was the worst - I didn't see the point in analysing novels, films, Shakespeare and Poetry. How would analysing this crap help in a future career? I felt Shakepeare was the worst though - like being forced by to appreciate and study his work because he was so great and important :roll:
Happy Bus User

Post by Happy Bus User »

HPE was definitely my worst. I got an E in grade 8 and a D in grade 9!!
Frances

Post by Frances »

The King wrote:For me English was the worst - I didn't see the point in analysing novels, films, Shakespeare and Poetry. How would analysing this crap help in a future career? I felt Shakepeare was the worst though - like being forced by to appreciate and study his work because he was so great and important :roll:
Each to their own I suppose.

English was, together with Art, one of my favourite subjects. I quite enjoyed studying Shakespeare and the other various texts we had. I don't know if it has helped me in my career or not (probably not) but it has given me an appreciation of literature and, yes, I do read works by famous novelists and poets from time to time, the last ones being "Kangaroo" by DH Lawrence and "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" by James Joyce.
MetroTasCatcher
Favourite Vehicle: Ford Crown Victoria P71

Post by MetroTasCatcher »

The King wrote:For me English was the worst - I didn't see the point in analysing novels, films, Shakespeare and Poetry. How would analysing this crap help in a future career? I felt Shakepeare was the worst though - like being forced by to appreciate and study his work because he was so great and important :roll:
I gotta agree with you there, we're doing Macbeth etc etc this year, it is boring as all shite. We did all the bloody novel analysing last year, what a waste of a bloody year. The curriculum is f*cked up, we should be learning how to do useful things in English like writing resumes or essays, not reading novels and picking it to bits...
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Return to “The Lunch Room”