What makes you happy today?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Re: What makes you happy today?

Post by TA3001 »

Swift wrote:^ He may not have seen you. I remember one time as a bus driver, I was near the end of my trip in an 0305 and I was curious to see how well the brakes performed , so as I made the bus lurch forward (I knew there was no cars behind me as I had just rounded a corner and checked my side mirrors for the all clear), I heard a lady go ohhh and there was an elderly woman sitting right behind me.
She said you gave me a fright. She was ok about it luckily after I apologised and explained I thought the bus was empty.
Wouldn't logic dictate checking all mirrors to confirm that there are no passengers aboard, before pulling over and getting out presumably to have a cancer stick? Also, he failed to complete the run. So by the time he pulled into West Lakes, the BCU would have shown up as running potentially 15 minutes late, which may have gotten the attention of the coordinator that views the computer screens at Mile End.

This fella was from the Adelaide's most notorious bus depot anyway. If you want to hear more about occurrences involving 'drivers' from this eastern suburbs planet, feel free to ask.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

TA3001 wrote:Wouldn't logic dictate checking all mirrors to confirm that there are no passengers aboard, before pulling over and getting out presumably to have a cancer stick? Also, he failed to complete the run. So by the time he pulled into West Lakes, the BCU would have shown up as running potentially 15 minutes late, which may have gotten the attention of the coordinator that views the computer screens at Mile End.

This fella was from the Adelaide's most notorious bus depot anyway. If you want to hear more about occurrences involving 'drivers' from this eastern suburbs planet, feel free to ask.
From experience, there are blind spots (eg the seat immediately behind the driver) that are encountered when trying to ascertain if the bus is empty via the mirror. The driver may have checked the mirror but if you were sitting in one of these blind spots not seen you.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

The Phonj wrote:
From experience, there are blind spots (eg the seat immediately behind the driver) that are encountered when trying to ascertain if the bus is empty via the mirror. The driver may have checked the mirror but if you were sitting in one of these blind spots not seen you.
As my brake test incident attests to. I was completely convinced there was no one on my bus.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Honestly getting my first photo of an EX STA Mercede-Benz 0405 PMC MKV bus. It's been on my personal to do list of "bus" photos to take" for a while now but their pretty rare down in Newcastle so it isn't likely you'll come across one everyday. Now If I can get an 0305 That'll be sweet

I'm still interested in building up my PMC bus photo collection as I don't have many photos of PMC's since again their rare down here now days because most bus companies that use to have them have previously withdrawn them.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Finally removing 12 rogue Morphettville CNG NL202s from my list of ones to get a pleasant ride on. These vehicles would literally be better off at Newton depot.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

- Seeing a Karma Cop dish out some justice for a red light runner

- Ridding Rover Coaches Denning Low-floor bus

- Riding Singletons MAN 12.220 CB30 3620 MO, much nicer compared to some of the same makes the Thornton Depot has.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Hearing Adelaide's only MAN 16.240 at about 80kph for a little this arvo.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

It’s Finally Getting Cold again!
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Not in Adelaide. 31 and 32 for the first two days of the long weekend before dropping to a freezing 20 degrees!

And to add to this thread, not having to endure 20 minutes on a new Bustech vehicle the other night. Instead the best the company could offer was an 11 year old L94UB which wasn't even in the crappy V2 'AdMet' livery. Much better in my opinion.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Figuring out to a miniscule degree how the time track function in Audacity works.

It was interesting hearing one of the blandest CNG NLs in Adelaide accelerate to 90+kph in a matter of seconds as a test for what I intend to use for it for.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Finding a transport book I've been wanting to get for a long time but Is pretty much out of stock online except for one site.

Really I could've saved myself some effort as I knew one place from the start that had it but it was $50 and with postage and handling would've added the final cost to around $65 AUD and I just couldn't justify paying that much for a book. Ended up finding a listing for this book for half the price along with free shipping, glad I decided to stick out and wait a while for a cheaper option to show up.

Now to wait for it to arrive :D
scott

Post by scott »

Seeing that Channel 7's stupid Super Switch tanked in the ratings.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/06/viewer ... witch.html

Hopefully they have more cat videos tucked away- they may need to use them when this crap gets bumped.

Good that people finally have woken up. Thank god for YouTube, watch some old clips of Graham Kennedy and Ken Sutcliffe/John Mangos on Coast to Coast, they need to bring some comedy back.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

The fact that I managed to make a connection I probably will never be able to make again!
The 389-371 connection at 8:05, Wanneroo/Beach Rd. Usually the 371 will riproar ahead while the 389 gets stuck behind cars, but this time the cars were behind the 389 and the 371 just waited!
Also seeing that the rain will clear up from today :)
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

The above reminds me of Transadelaide operations in the early 2000s. There was this service from Belair to Adelaide that stopped at every station except Keswick that used to operate to a timetable that was impossible to do on time with any sort of typical 30 second delay. It relied on the down train from Adelaide arriving Eden Hills on time for the cross immediately south of Shepherd's Hill Rd (which had zero slack as well). It had one minute in total to allow for the cross, and then continued flat out to Adelaide stopping all stations except Mile End.

One very reputable driver got to Adelaide at the magic 7:03 mark, in a railcar that was rather slow and wasn't exactly in the best condition at the time. He had a strange call from train control between Keswick and the now demolished Bakewell bridge, and stood up for himself insisting that his trains are always on time. I had never seen this service arrive earlier than about 7:04 previously. I'll admit that I have always been a little over-interested in running times, which explains my observations.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

When the Deli employee at (insert supermarket name here) decides to give you extra food at no additional cost. I went to the supermarket and wanted something from the hot food section of the Deli, they had about 6 Sweet Chilli chicken tenders left and they were on special for $2 for a 3 piece pack. Deli employee gave me all 6 remaining ones and only charged me $2 as if I was still getting a 3 pack. That was very nice of the employee to do.

It was mid-afternoon and I guess they were getting ready to get rid of the morning cooked batch hence why I probably got the extra tenders at no additional cost but still was nice of them to chuck the remaining lot in and not have to pay more :P
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

The jackpot next stop tone not working in a V2 CB80 I unfortunately ended up on today. Made for a much less unpleasant trip.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Back out in good ol' Fairfield Interchange and seeing an old gem; Custom 510 O405 #9256 from Transdev Bankstown Airport transferred from Kingsgrove some months ago running the 904.
Why that makes me happy is because it's a Custom 510 on the 904 instead of the usual L94UB 2000 Bustechs and the pain in the backside Scumtech VSTs that normally encircle this route.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

That in most cases, the children know what to do when they cough and/or sneeze more than their parents!
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

The facilities were reasonably clean (& worked) on the Oscars used the other day!
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
MotorOmnibus8562

Adani may not be able to start digging because they have to go through Many processes to start their coal mine other than the Governments approval :lol: :twisted:
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Bus Suggestions wrote:The fact that I managed to make a connection I probably will never be able to make again!
The 389-371 connection at 8:05, Wanneroo/Beach Rd. Usually the 371 will riproar ahead while the 389 gets stuck behind cars, but this time the cars were behind the 389 and the 371 just waited!
Managing to make the same connection!
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
scott

Post by scott »

Watching a double episode of Highway Patrol in my motel room on 7mate Gippsland (I am away at the moment), never ceases to amaze how stupid people are and how they treat the police.
MotorOmnibus8562

Adani being prosecuted by the QLD Government :P :twisted: :lol:
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

While helping my mum pack for moving, finding an old photo of me standing in front of my first car- a 1978 CL Valiant over 20 years ago. I have been lamenting not having a decent pic of my first car and now that's resolved!!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
scott

Post by scott »

Collingwood getting thrashed by GWS. The supporters are leaving in droves. Love it when the Pies get thrashed.

Return to “The Lunch Room”