What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Adelaide Metro.
Why? Well:

1) no timetable changes this year - how boring (not to mention inefficient in some areas)
2) not getting all the facts before putting in detours on their website. On a hunch I phoned my local depot, and it turns out all 865s between 10-3 are cancelled tomorrow, nothing of the sort said on AdMet's stupid website.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Swift wrote:Foreign ads used here with Australian voices so obviously dubbed over the foreign actress own accented original voice. One example is Scholl GelActive insoles with that blonde woman saying "like being on a cloud" in that horrible generic Australian dubbed over voice.
Of these multinational tax dodging corporations want to penny pinch by using foreign footage in their commercials, they should be made to screen it only with the actor's original voices or produce them with local talent!
Those ads are everywhere (Global Shop Direct, ugh), one of the late night ads has a mixture of American, British and New Zealand actors (7 = sivin!) all pretending to be Australian - I gather it's by far cheaper to hire "professionals" (or "paid actors" as GelActive proudly displays on the screen) outside Australia than it is to hire some random idiot off the street.

Also, what is with Foxtel and ads lately? I was watching one show on TVHITS two days ago (keep typing the word HITS over and over and over without spaces) and there were twelve 15-second ads in a row, two of which were actually about Foxtel products or shows (cross-promotion), with some of the ads appearing more than once. The show wasn't finished or between episodes either. I'm glad I don't bother with Foxtel. As with mobile phones, people have had the wool pulled over their eyes for decades too long. What Foxtel actually does show on TV (besides ads and repeats) isn't worth the money people pay for it.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

That admins allow incorrect "facts" in signatures.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Newcastle Flyer

SHAME to the SCC ranger that moved a man selling Australian Flags yesterday.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Seeing any CB80 :) .
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Seeing the second crappiest SL202 in Adelaide show up on the same shift one in two days.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

The bus in TA3001's picture having only one door.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Lt. Commander Data

No need for 2 doors in the Hills- generally longer limited stops routes where dwell time isn't an issue. The extra capacity is more useful for the Hills, and having a second door could potentially be a hazard at many stops around the place. In any case, the Hills haven't seen regular length (11-12.5m) buses with 2 doors for a while, bar a few exceptions. All 14.5m buses have 2 doors though, with artics having 3 doors, bar one, which has 2.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Swift wrote:The bus in TA3001's picture having only one door.
Technically it's Lt. Commander Data's photo. I just modified it with his permission to depict the original Hills Transit L94UB in it's original livery, so if you've got eggs to throw, no point throwing them at me!
Swift

Post by Swift »

That bus needs to be scrapped, especially with a washing machine sounding engine.
Gosh, what happened to Adelaide? You used to have three door rigids with Leyland 0680 growl, now this.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Swift wrote:That bus needs to be scrapped, especially with a washing machine sounding engine.
Gosh, what happened to Adelaide? You used to have three door rigids with Leyland 0680 growl, now this.
There are vehicles in service that are much, much worse than this one. It's one of the best Scanias in service in Adelaide. It even has a cable accelerator unlike the newer units. Personally, I prefer (3)272 over this one though due to it being exactly the same mechanically as 2547.

By my standards, even the B58 replacements are mediocre to me, with one in particular standing out more than the others. And those CB60 bodied L94UBs were replacements for SL200s :). Fortunately we didn't end up with more K___UBs instead.....
Lt. Commander Data

Swift wrote:That bus needs to be scrapped, especially with a washing machine sounding engine.
Whoa... did you just say that (ex-)269 has a washing machine engine? See, I don't think you did. And it definitely doesn't say it should be scrapped there, does it?

What if I told you I've heard preservation plans for this bus due to its unique trans and also because it's the first Scania in Adelaide?
Swift

Post by Swift »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
What if I told you I've heard preservation plans for this bus due to its unique trans and also because it's the first Scania in Adelaide?
Just kidding ( to a degree). Modern equipment today is tomorrow's forgotten classic.

Funny you should bring up unique transmissions .
In the 1960s, they trialled a Dana Spicer single speed lock up torque convertor transmission on one of their AEC Regal VIs and a ZF 2 speed Busmatic transmission on one of their three door Leyland Worldmasters. The Leyland went like a rocket with this this auto fitted, apparently. :shock:
These experiments in the 1960s probably lead to the MTT moving away from semi autos in the 1970s and using the ZF Busmatic in all their AEC Swifts and Volvo B59s.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Whistling passengers on a bus!

If only that fella was able to read my thoughts whilst his mouth was excreting this near painfully annoying so-called tune.....
Swift wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:
Just kidding ( to a degree). Modern equipment today is tomorrow's forgotten classic.

Funny you should bring up unique transmissions .
In the 1960s, they trialled a Dana Spicer single speed lock up torque convertor transmission on one of their AEC Regal VIs and a ZF 2 speed Busmatic transmission on one of their three door Leyland Worldmasters. The Leyland went like a rocket with this this auto fitted, apparently. :shock:
These experiments in the 1960s probably lead to the MTT moving away from semi autos in the 1970s and using the ZF Busmatic in all their AEC Swifts and Volvo B59s.

I'm wondering how an SL202 would go with a 2 speed transmission.... I have heard a rogue Voith unit locked in 2nd at around 60kph, and it wasn't quiet...
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Bus drivers that don't call passengers back when a person taps on with their opal and the no funds warning sound goes off
Swift

Post by Swift »

TA3001 wrote:

I'm wondering how an SL202 would go with a 2 speed transmission.... I have heard a rogue Voith unit locked in 2nd at around 60kph, and it wasn't quiet...
OK as long as the axle ratio is no more than 70 km/h max with the 1:1 second ratio of the Busmatic.
Up until about the late 1970s, Voiths were 2 speed as well and behaved the same as the ZF 2 speed.
A long tall first gear and then into second and immediate lockup, leading to a dramatic fall on rpms of the motor.
It is when Voith introduced their heavily revised three speed and ZF introduced their first Ecomat transmission in 1980, that their distinct characteristics diverged so greatly.
The current transmissions by these two are developments of the first Voith three speed and four speed Ecomat introduced all that time ago.
B10BLE
Favourite Vehicle: C63 AMG Black

Post by B10BLE »

Contra la Luna
Newcastle Flyer

Excuse me "Mrs" mother (highly likely a single parent), you need to give your child with a cough some water, otherwise he'll get a sore throat His throat already sounds a bit sore.

Better still, Mrs mother, GET OFF YOUR YA BLOODY MOBILE & help your child.
White lives matter too.
Newcastle Flyer

This.

NO Channel TEN News & the Daily Telegraph, Transit Systems is NOT STA buses.

Those bus drivers have got to be kidding, not accepting Transit System's offer.
White lives matter too.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Transit Systems should have made the offer before the drivers made moves to walk on the grass.
Newcastle Flyer

What would people say if I heard while coming home that an extreme rightie talk show (only if you agree) host claimed that only a minority use social media?

Would you say that's

1 Correct? or
2 Incorrect?
White lives matter too.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

2 ELLEN DEGENERES!!
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Open defecation, Indian Railways
Newcastle Flyer

WHAT? Justin Bieber had a 70,000 strong audience in Sydney????
White lives matter too.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Not having ICT class.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.

Return to “The Lunch Room”