What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by TA3001 »

A long out of print railway book I purchased yesterday had the price written in ink on the first page. Almost worth demanding a discount for this alone. And it wasn't by any means cheap either. Apparently this shop does this with all the books they sell.

I mainly purchased it due to the risk of receiving a damaged copy from Ebay for $35 less than the price at the shop in Adelaide.
scott

Post by scott »

I have been successful removing glue from stickers on books with eucalyptus oil.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

My local Salvo's store suggested using nail varnish remover on the yellow stickers, to which I said why put them there at all, but I can say after hassling them for over a year they've seen the light and have started putting the same price sticker on the back of the book, and/or just as annoyingly on the spine. As for price written in ink on the first page, that's total destruction as far as being a collectable. Pencil is the usual practice which can be erased. I have seen books with the top right corner of the first page cut out, which I suspect is what's been removed.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Ya know what I mean blah blah. Ya know what I mean blah blah Ya know what I mean"

If you know what I mean! :lol:
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Newcastle Flyer

Four old woman who TRIED WITHOUT SUCCESS to tell me shut up when I asked a passenger to cover their mouth when they cough. They told me to move, even though I was first. They didn't succeed.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Old women are Neville Wran people. They're "never wrong".
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Newcastle Flyer

And they said I was rude for asking passengers to cover their mouth if they didn't when they cough. I said to them I've got very sick due to people not covering their mouths/nose when they cough &/or sneeze.
White lives matter too.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Don't be rude and cough over someone you meddling biddies!
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

The heck is with Drivers driving around without Authority cards on display on Hunter Valley buses in the last couple of days?

Every time I get my first bus for the day there's now a good 85% chance the Drivers Authority card isn't displayed in the authority card slot and is nowhere to be seen and remaining chance that it is displayed. This isn't at the start of the route either, it's halfway through the route.

I don't usually pipe up and tell them to put it in if it isn't displayed but if they get on my wrong side and it isn't displayed I'll definitely be asking them to put it up.

And Hunter Valley Buses says for RIGHTS & RESPONSIBILITIES (Sticker inside the bus)

Passengers can expect;
Driver to comply with reasonable passenger requests (So if they have no authority card on display per-say, I can ask them to put it in as it's a reasonable request for starters and they should've had it in the slot in the first place anyway)
Drivers authority card to be displayed neatly(or something like that)
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Delivery vehicles sitting in bus zones with limited space for extended periods.

Here's the evidence. The doors were open in this exact position seconds before this was taken, but had to restart my phone, and it was all I could grab.
KW.jpg
KW.jpg (74.47 KiB) Viewed 5508 times
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

Where's the "evidence"? I don't see any sign of a delivery vehicle - other than the bus!

Paul
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

This is how the bus was parked, due to the van sitting in the centre of the area which is clearly marked "bus zone". But then, adhering to the road rules will always be considered optional to at least 50% of motorists, and not a mandatory requirement, at least until they accumulate well over 4 grand in fines.

I didn't photograph the van due to the potential risks associated with it, and it not being my problem.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

The 2nd Grand Junction hotel scourge, for Train Simulator 20XX. Biggest PITA of a model in nearly 4 years
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Waking up at 6:30 AM and reading the news only to find out Stan lee has passed away :(

Another Star taken too soon
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Pompous bus enthusiasts. Actually, nerds in general!
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

ScaniaGrenda wrote:Waking up at 6:30 AM and reading the news only to find out Stan lee has passed away :(

Another Star taken too soon
If 95 is "too soon", then how long do you expect people to live for?
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Re: What makes you unhappy?

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Having a photo taken of me without my consent
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Swift

Post by Swift »

Bus883&1022 wrote:Having a photo taken of me without my consent
Inn a public setting you have no expectation of privacy and consent is not required to take video, film or pictures of you.
MotorOmnibus8562

Swift wrote:
Inn a public setting you have no expectation of privacy and consent is not required to take video, film or pictures of you.
I mean like photos with a family or something...
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Swift

Post by Swift »

^It would have been good if you had stipulated that. :|
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Bus883&1022 wrote:I mean like photos with a family or something...
Actually, this really gives me "the S&#T's". :evil:

I do a lot of photography, including a whole lot of personal bus photography and let me tell you, It's so damn hard trying to do my thing without some pantsy giving me the evil eye because they think I'm taking a photo of them.

As Swift said, when you're in public, any need for consent and any expectation of privacy goes right out the window.

As for photos with a family or the like, what do you expect them to do at the time? Find some abandoned laneway that nobody goes to and take the shot then get a later charge for trespass for finding the only empty area they could do the shot in even though they couldn't do it anywhere else because one individual is bothered by it???

Look, if you see a family shot being taken and you want to make sure no trace of yourself ends up in it, walk behind the photographer. Simple. If you see a family shot about to be formed, move outta the way. If it's in the middle of a CBD, then ain't a damn thing you can do about it other than to just mind your business and let them capture a potentially special moment of their lives in a photograph (since for example maybe some members of that family may end up passing away a few weeks or years down the track), or even yet, just go down a different path if there is one. Once again, you hit the streets, you're in public where it's bound to happen sometime.

See, this is why I only take shots during dawn, dusk and night, because the dead middle of the day is filled by some sensitive dirtbags that get threatened at the mere sight of a photographer and I for one am sick of it. I can still recall getting some dead looks from some drivers for taking photos of buses. (Look you two, I'm photographing the bus. I don't know you, I don't know your backstories, I'm photographing the bus. Why? Because I like buses, it's a hobby of mine, and I really like this bus here.)

I'm very sorry about nearly getting mad, but I've had so many people barge into my business without minding their own just for me photographing my friends, my family, the buses, a public area, etc., all of which has had absolutely nothing to do with those people and I've just about lost my patience with them. :x :evil:
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
scott

Post by scott »

In am just sick of society today full stop. People get all fired up over the smallest of things. You can't even eat a piece of fried fish in a park without some health fanatic giving you the stare.

Also new rules for Bunnings sausage sizzles, the onion has to go under the sausage to avoid it falling out on the ground, over the top, also some people are even calling for the sausage sizzles to be banned all together.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

The advertising scourge on Farcebook. Even with Adblock Plus, and someother addons installed, they're still infesting the page.

When I selected hide, the result was 'We'll try to show you better ads'.

Get a grip on reality Zuckerberg. The previous design was more bearable than what this almost malicious looking style domain now resembles. It's deterring me from visiting the website at all now.

Edit: They seem to have coincidentally disappeared after install 'ad blocker for fb'. Mankind is saved for the time being.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

scott wrote:In am just sick of society today full stop. People get all fired up over the smallest of things. You can't even eat a piece of fried fish in a park without some health fanatic giving you the stare.
Oh tell me about it. The sensitive morons think they own the place and think everyone else must adjust to the conditions that they're comfortable with.

So many things are supposed to be small and simple, but because of the type of society we live with now, the small and simple view has appeared to have gone right out the window.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
MotorOmnibus8562

BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote:
Bus883&1022 wrote:I mean like photos with a family or something...
Actually, this really gives me "the S&#T's". :evil:

I do a lot of photography, including a whole lot of personal bus photography and let me tell you, It's so damn hard trying to do my thing without some pantsy giving me the evil eye because they think I'm taking a photo of them.

As Swift said, when you're in public, any need for consent and any expectation of privacy goes right out the window.

As for photos with a family or the like, what do you expect them to do at the time? Find some abandoned laneway that nobody goes to and take the shot then get a later charge for trespass for finding the only empty area they could do the shot in even though they couldn't do it anywhere else because one individual is bothered by it???

Look, if you see a family shot being taken and you want to make sure no trace of yourself ends up in it, walk behind the photographer. Simple. If you see a family shot about to be formed, move outta the way. If it's in the middle of a CBD, then ain't a damn thing you can do about it other than to just mind your business and let them capture a potentially special moment of their lives in a photograph (since for example maybe some members of that family may end up passing away a few weeks or years down the track), or even yet, just go down a different path if there is one. Once again, you hit the streets, you're in public where it's bound to happen sometime.

See, this is why I only take shots during dawn, dusk and night, because the dead middle of the day is filled by some sensitive dirtbags that get threatened at the mere sight of a photographer and I for one am sick of it. I can still recall getting some dead looks from some drivers for taking photos of buses. (Look you two, I'm photographing the bus. I don't know you, I don't know your backstories, I'm photographing the bus. Why? Because I like buses, it's a hobby of mine, and I really like this bus here.)

I'm very sorry about nearly getting mad, but I've had so many people barge into my business without minding their own just for me photographing my friends, my family, the buses, a public area, etc., all of which has had absolutely nothing to do with those people and I've just about lost my patience with them. :x :evil:
Sorry
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)

Return to “The Lunch Room”