Television channel discussions

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

scott

Re: Let's fix Channel Nine

Post by scott »

Did you find Sam Newman's resignation that really was not a resignation on Thursday night cringeworthy?
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

But I think after all these years he is for real.they on radio even made a song dedicated to sam newman when he was about to become a dad,all that he wants is another baby for he's gone tomorrow.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

That show is so a Melbourne centric it makes you want to barf.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

that show was well past it's use by date.granted 9 australia when kerry packer was still alive and in charge needed a replacement for cheers in the nineties for thursday nights but was a show about a sport most of us don't care for the answer.they don't even own the rights to the footy anymore 7 does as does fox sports.i find them showing netball games via their subsidiaries more interesting.in fact if it weren't for their weekend news bulletins and getaway that i watch on saturdays(i am out on sundays for church or other things and the rest of the week is library evenings after work/gym)i would have given up on them ages ago.how about a mix of looney tunes with a new female host and a new age price is right or temptation game show(but no eddie footy man of collingwood everywhere as host)5pm to 6pm like the old days.
B10BLE
Favourite Vehicle: C63 AMG Black

Post by B10BLE »

Channel 9 can be fixed by getting rid of that biased pick Tony Jones who said the AFL grand final would be a "waste" because West Coast booked a spot.
Contra la Luna
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

i might not understand footy but what i know what the difference between a good bakery and collingwood is and that is bakeries make better food especially the pies.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Having my first look at Fox crickets test match coverage. How much better it is than the boring sludge nine inflicted on us for three decades.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
scott

Post by scott »

Channel 7 seem to have done well with their cricket coverage from the bits I have seen. It seems they are no longer advertising ridiculously overpriced cricket memorabilia like 9 did for years. But there are constant ads for that crap called MKR.

Eddie and Sam finally have been axed from the Footy Show, but will be back for specials from time to time.
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

It''ll be interesting to see how Today fares without Karl Stefanovic, given that the new management at Nine has decided to give him the sack. Honestly IMO no-one can topple Sunrise as the template breakfast television programme, Channel Seven has gotten the format right for years.
Swift

Post by Swift »

scott wrote:Channel 7 seem to have done well with their cricket coverage from the bits I have seen. It seems they are no longer advertising ridiculously overpriced cricket memorabilia like 9 did for years. But there are constant ads for that crap called MKR.
What a world we live in when Seven does the cricket and Nine is now doing the Summer of tennis Australian Open.
I think that gig was a quintessentially Seven thing but time will tell if Nine successfully puts it's own stamp on it.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

crazyturbo76 wrote:It''ll be interesting to see how Today fares without Karl Stefanovic, given that the new management at Nine has decided to give him the sack. Honestly IMO no-one can topple Sunrise as the template breakfast television programme, Channel Seven has gotten the format right for years.
Good luck to them. :shock:

The ABC's News Breakfast program has been steadily gaining traction over the years. Whilst I am no ABC fan-boy, I appreciate their coverage of current events and issues, whereas the other channels are loud, obnoxious and do a comparatively lousy job at giving us the news (and somehow manage to tangle it into an infomercial or "live performance" of some trashy modern artist). Someone I knew once described the breakfast programs on the commercial channels as "Lollipop Shows."
Swift

Post by Swift »

They need to bring back kids shows in the breakfast slot and leave the news to the professionals.
Do we need 3 news breakfast shows?
https://youtu.be/_htLQwSx6Bg
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote:They need to bring back kids shows in the breakfast slot and leave the news to the professionals.
Do we need 3 news breakfast shows?
https://youtu.be/_htLQwSx6Bg
Morning kids shows are aired on 10peach 7two and 9GO where they can’t cut into the ratings of the networks main channel
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a quota from Canberra that mandates x hours of children's programming on commercial television (that has been present since around the time colour television came out)? I guess as soon as digital television came in the networks decided to quickly offload that stuff; if I remember correctly Ten was the first to jump on that bandwagon when it launched Eleven (now 10 Peach) eight years ago, so that they could free room for Studio 10.
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Morning kids shows are aired on 10peach 7two and 9GO where they can’t cut into the ratings of the networks main channel
This is what bites into the quality of commercial television really hard these days: the amount of ratings a show gets. Programmes that pander to the lowest common denominator peeve me off sometimes, especially those dating programmes (I'm looking at you, Married at First Sight and Take Me Out) that make dating look easier than it is in real life. Some reality shows I can tolerate - particularly MKR/MasterChef - but it just makes me mad when I see the networks filling up their homemade programming quotas with reality shows and then importing programmes from the States to fill in the gaps.

No wonder stuff like Netflix and Stan are so popular here, you can just cut out a lot of the junk from your programming intake for a fraction of how much Foxtel will set you back. It would be good if Netflix did use a bit of its' revenue to fund some homegrown content here though.
Swift

Post by Swift »

They make mundane reality shows with moderately attractive looking people because there is a market of dead beat commoner consumers ready to surrender to the hype surrounding it and they get made to feel inadequate by attractive people on the more extreme scale.
It's all carefully researched like a computer algorithm to appeal to the tastes of more common people of the mass market who drive Kias, Hyundai and toy motors.
odie8888

Post by odie8888 »

the whole network needs fixing.granted they have subsidiaries for most of their shows but seriously two double doses on news almost every night,obviously the kids market doesn't really exist as any of us who were born in the seventies remember it.home from school channel niner's/c'mon kids and then bugs bunny.get ed phillips or glenn ridge out of retirement to be the millionaire hot seat presenter.
Campbelltown busboy

The network changed the timing format of their 6:00 nightly news bulletins from 30 minutes to a hour around this time 6 years ago and the millionaire hot seat is just a repackaged who wants to be a millionaire so they just recycled Eddie McGuire to host the hot seat

Admin: Not necessary to quote previous item in full.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

What annoys me on Channel 9 is having to put up with Eddie McGuire on TV. I cannot watch his show, Hot Seat anymore—his constant dribble from him was enough to turn my TV off. Hot Seat is unwatchable now—the same format over and over again. Some people have stopped watching his show because he kept going on and on and on with talking too much unrelated stuff.
scott

Post by scott »

How about getting rid of Love Island, it is garbage, only seen promos, but I reckon if Kerry Packer was still alive, he would order it off air.
Swift

Post by Swift »

scott wrote:How about getting rid of Love Island, it is garbage, only seen promos, but I reckon if Kerry Packer was still alive, he would order it off air.
The girls aren't even that good looking.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

scott wrote:How about getting rid of Love Island, it is garbage,
So another bottom of the barrel romance show... Gee and I thought the Bachelor was bad (I didn't watch that either but I already know how these shows turn out, always hitting rock bottom). How anyone watches them is beyond me.

I've been watching a show that seems to be based around Sydney called Mr Inbetween, how in the world did the TV networks fail to even remotely pick that up? (Before you ask it's on Foxtel so they probably got the rights to the show but how the others didn't put their hand up puzzles me) Guess it goes to show they don't care anymore, they just want this bottom of the barrel crap. I'm embarrassed for our Television media. I know we were never really big to start off with but to hit this rock bottom is disappointing.

Besides the evening news, I hardly watch FTA. They lost me when they decided these rock bottom reality shows & love shows was more important instead of action and crime shows. If they could've at least aired decent documentaries I probably would've come back but just for that. I guess with internet media being around they aren't even trying anymore, oh well there's always youtube but you have to wade yourself through low quality content and clickbait but at least there's choice compared to FTA.

And don't get me started on the time Harry Potter was on last year on CH9 and every 5 minutes there was commercial breaks that felt like they went on longer than the movie.

P.S, I bet this is what happens at the TV networks when deciding to come up with shows to air and broadcast, I bet they always land on "reality" shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEV-I9qg7_I
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I would start a let's save channel Seven thread but there's no hope with them, especially when they attempt to revive the previous flop Zumbo's Just Desserts WTF??
Crikey Dora!!
Let's not even mention the name of that third commercial network owned by CBS.
Campbelltown busboy

Swift wrote:I would start a let's save channel Seven thread but there's no hope with them, especially when they attempt to revive the previous flop Zumbo's Just Desserts WTF??
Crikey Dora!!
Let's not even mention the name of that third commercial network owned by CBS.
How about a how to fix free to air tv in Australia thread witch includes all 3 commercial networks and the tv channels of those two government funded entires
scott

Post by scott »

Channel 9 now own Macquarie Media, so hence now a radio arm.

Rumour has it Karl is being reinstated to Today, with a pay cut.
Campbelltown busboy

scott wrote:Channel 9 now own Macquarie Media, so hence now a radio arm.

Rumour has it Karl is being reinstated to Today, with a pay cut.
Channel 9 has recently axed Macquarie Sports Radio Nobody knows if channel 9 has any plans for a third format change for 2UE 954 in Sydney 4BH 882 in Brisbane and Magic 1278 in Melbourne since the Macquarie/Fairfax merger

Return to “The Lunch Room”