Television channel discussions

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

scott

Re: Television channel discussions

Post by scott »

My mum would hate it too. It is a wonder some of the cast have done it for so long. The only long serving actor that has done anything close to that length of time in an Aussie show is Ray Meagher, playing Alf in Home and Away, approaching 32 years. He recently returned to the set after having heart surgery.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

The commercial networks are just a lot of third rate Australian reality shows with a few of these laughless American comedy sitcoms and syndicated reality shows from the UK and America and other British and American shows that are relegated to ether being a app only show or a show being shown on one of the networks multi channels as they only mainly use there main rating channels for drama causing reality shows
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

It's a sad reflection on Australian's taste that they continue to rate strongly.
Aussies are not a very intellectual lot by and large.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Campbelltown busboy

The commercial free to air landscape changed in 2009 with the launch of program formated multiple channels 7two by the 7 network and GO by the 9 network with network 10 not launching a multi channel with a tv show based format till 2011 with the launch of 11 (10 peach) and the sports only to sports/program format change with one (10boss/10bold) then you have others like gem (9 network) 7 mate 7 food network 7 flix and racing.com (7 network) TVSN (free to air) and spree tv (network 10)
scott

Post by scott »

Was watching the cricket on Channel 7 and saw the promo for a new program fronted by Rebel Wilson- Pooch Perfect, a program that looks like featuring dog makeovers.

A Fish Cam revival would be better.

Zumbo's Just Desserts is unwatchable- and it is on three nights a week- two nights too many- Zumbo is dull as hell.
Swift

Post by Swift »

^I can't get that tune from Zumbo's out of my head. Why does Seven persist with it this turkey? It can't be for ratings so what's the hidden objective? To tell us what we want to watch?
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Today Tonight Perth & Adelaide are finito by the week's end. Can't say I'll miss their "running past price tags with an expert telling us how cheap everything is" and other trashy "Current Affairs" they present.
Campbelltown busboy

Merc1107 wrote:Today Tonight Perth & Adelaide are finito by the week's end. Can't say I'll miss their "running past price tags with an expert telling us how cheap everything is" and other trashy "Current Affairs" they present.
Channel 7 in the eastern states haven't had Today Tonight since the news programming format for 7 news in Sydney Brisbane and Melbourne changed to 1 hour of news leading into Home and Away (Monday to Thursday) Better Homes and Gardens (all three states during summer and Sydney and Brisbane only during the AFL season) around 6 years ago
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Today Tonight got the chop in Sydney, Melbourne And Brisbane in early 2014. However they still kept the Adelaide and Perth bulletins. This show is filled with lots of awful journalism with many controversies and other crap. I stopped watching TT years ago because of this crappy journalism. Adelaide get their final edition on Thursday due to the Day Night Cricket Test while Perth get their final edition on Friday (due to the cricket moving to 7mate from 6pm-7pm and Timezone difference). From 2/12/2019, Seven News will become a one hour bulletin in all 5 metro cities.
Next, I hoped that A current affair will be next—same old stories like scams, bad neighbours, worst drivers and politics. Most of the investigation stories are just trash. This show should have been cancelled years ago because of this rubbish journalism. Instead of having ACA at 7pm, why not have like some hit shows back in its time slot. Starting at 7:30pm is quite late, especially for young people.
And 3rdly, I used to enjoy watching The project on 10. I stopped watching this show years ago because I find it very boring especially when presenters talk about politics and drama. The project is unwatchable as of now.
Campbelltown busboy

It will take a major ratings drop to trigger channel 9 to axe A Current Affair and I recon network 10 created 10 peach because Neighbours was holding what was then The "7pm" Project to the evening 7 to 730 time slot so "launch 11 and move Neighbours there so we can add a extra half hour to the project"
scott

Post by scott »

Last night I watched The Simpsons on 7Flix for the first time since TEN handed over the rights and the first time in over a decade since I reguarly watched the Simpsons. Had a good laugh, even though the episodes were from 2003, long after the classic era. First time I have had a good laugh for a long time especially at anything on free to air. Would be nice of they could show some of the early Season 1-5 episodes even though I saw them countless times in the 90's.
Campbelltown busboy

The networks don't show their station idents before shows as much as they were doing in the first 5 decades of Australian tv
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

scott wrote:Last night I watched The Simpsons on 7Flix for the first time since TEN handed over the rights and the first time in over a decade since I reguarly watched the Simpsons. Had a good laugh, even though the episodes were from 2003, long after the classic era. First time I have had a good laugh for a long time especially at anything on free to air. Would be nice of they could show some of the early Season 1-5 episodes even though I saw them countless times in the 90's.
Exactly the reason why I prefer to watch them on DVD. Can select any episode that's available with no interruptions or annoyances, excluding the fact that the creators seem to enjoy animating and showing Homer and other bloke's rears endlessly, for some unknown reason.
scott

Post by scott »

The way some TV networks just sack people for no apparent reason, Jason Hodges, the landscaper on Better Homes and Gardens has been dumped.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/12/jason- ... rdens.html

I don't really care about Better Homes and Gardens, but feel sorry for him being dumped like that.

Also The Simpsons celebrates 30 years since it's first episode aired, on the 17/12/1989, us Aussies did not see it until December 1991 as it was the Christmas episode.
Swift

Post by Swift »

scott wrote:.

Also The Simpsons celebrates 30 years since it's first episode aired, on the 17/12/1989, us Aussies did not see it until December 1991 as it was the Christmas episode.
I remember seeing the cinema shorts in 1989. The quality of the animation was noticeably better by the time it reached our tv screens. The first four or so years was the best. You could immediately detect different writers after that and it wasn't as clever or witty at all!
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

scott wrote:Also The Simpsons celebrates 30 years since it's first episode aired, on the 17/12/1989
They have flogged that show so hard now... Well past the point at which it should've been canned.
scott

Post by scott »

Also notice the first season or two, Homer's voice sounded different and the animation was slightly different too.

February 1991, is when us Aussies first got a taste of the Simpsons. the ratings at first were not all that terrific, but gained as word of mouth spread, however it went gangbusters by 1993 when Ten stripped the episodes five days a week, and repeated the episodes on rotation many times, so the initial seasons were done to death quite quickly.

Ten delayed airing the 5th season (shown in America in 1993-94) in Australia until 1995, so we were about two seasons behind, but caught up. Season 5 was seen as the pinnacle of the show, and slowly went downhill from there. Bart vs Australia was shown here in late 1995 and was controversial.

Above paraphrased from my reading of a Simpson fan website.

My all time favourite early Simpsons episode was when Homer went to the Frying Dutchman all you can eat and got thrown out.
Campbelltown busboy

The Simpsons actually started as shorts on a variety show that aired on Fox in the late 80s
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... DWrNVbUBSb
Swift

Post by Swift »

^ The Tracy Ullman Show from memory.
JRBUS123
Favourite Vehicle: Ventura Volgren Optimus

Post by JRBUS123 »

You might find the odd Simpson short from The Tracey Ullman Show appear at the beginning of some of the recent seasons of the Simpsons. They are indeed hilarious :lol:

I know the new Simpsons episodes are different to the other first few seasons in the 1990's, but personally I still find the Simpsons an entertaining show (the new seasons are alright). I'm amazed the Simpsons has managed to keep going for this long (most of the actors are now in their late 50's or 60's), especially since 2 new seasons are on their way.

The Simpsons used to have comics that were made from 1993 to 2018 and were developed by Bongo Comics, a comics company that Matt Groening co-founded. I have a lot of them and many of the editions of "Simpsons Comics" and "Bart Simpson" are rather entertaining up until the very recent editions where the stories, to me, seemed rather boring and not that interesting to read (probably a reason as to why Bongo Comics ceased trading, unfortunately).

Speaking of the Simpsons on TV, Foxtel channel FOX8 have been running marathons of the Simpsons (began yesterday and will be running for 21 days) due to of course the 30th anniversary of the Simpsons.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I nick name them The Simpleton-sons for fun.
Campbelltown busboy

Then there are these commercials for America chocolate bar butterfinger that feature the Simpsons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMxqUku71qs
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Channel 9’s Australian Open coverage
Good
9 and 9GEM are both in HD
People can catch up the matches on 9Now

Misses
Tony Jones—he is so opinionated and his interview on Naomi Osaka last year was cringeworthy. Tony Jones crass comments has made headlines across Australia. Jones isn’t liked on TV.
Molan—cannot stand her. The reason why I can’t stand her is her presenting style on the telecast. She stated the bleeding obvious. 2 years ago, she replaced Fafty as host of nrl footy show. She tries way too hard as being funny. I don’t know why Nine picked her on the tennis telecast.
scott

Post by scott »

Judge Judy to end in 2021, reportedly after a feud with CBS, after 25 years and more than 10,000 episodes.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/03/axed-j ... -2021.html

She deserves every cent she gets listening to those idiots, last time I saw it a couple were fighting over a dog and she threw one of the litigants out.
Campbelltown busboy

Why do Australian tv networks mostly air shows like late night shows or weekly family friendly prime time animations from America what's wrong with having more Australian made content besides the few dramas series comedies and the 1,000,000 different types of reality shows on tv in Australia

Return to “The Lunch Room”