• Advertisement

Rare and interesting car sightings

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Re: Rare and interesting car sightings

Postby boronia » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:56 pm

Swift wrote:
boronia wrote:They were known here as "MetroCabs", we had a few in Sydney as well.

They were a more modern style assembled here with Holden Commodore power pack. I caught a couple and thought they were fantastic.

The original units in Sydney were diesels from UK, and many were later re-engined with Commodore V6s to extend their lives. I think they all disappeared when the age limits were introduced?. There were some later models imported from China or Korea[?]
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2020
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby scott » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:11 pm

In Victoria, taxis had a six to seven year limit, so the newest Metrocabs were gone by around 1997-98, some even got repainted in Jeff Kennett's yellow taxi livery.

There was indeed an earlier Camry, sold in lift back form between 1983 and 1987, ceased when the 1st locally made Camry's went down the line in early 1987.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/toyota-camry-used-review-1983-1987-57794
scott

Postby Heihachi_73 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 pm

scott wrote:I remember there was a batch of London type cabs in Melbourne, can't remember what the model was called, but they were repowered with Commodore 3.8L V6 engines converted to LPG, was late 80's early 90's and last one retired in about 1997. They were sort of SUV like.

There used to be a decrepit Reliant Metrocab at the back of the car repair yard at Heatherdale (Ringwood side), back when the station was still above ground and on the Mitcham side. It's where the equally-decrepit caravan currently is (unless that too has gone since).

Taxis had a 6-7 year limit? I've noticed there are still a few BF wagons out there earning their keep with thirteen crabs, with Ford not bothering with an FG/FG-X wagon despite having ute versions.

I've seen a few Camry liftbacks (SV11) on the road, but being a generic-looking 80s car they don't tend to get much notice though.
Heihachi_73

Postby scott » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:26 pm

In 2017, the Victorian cab industry was deregulated and the age limit was removed, this saw many B series Falcons being reinstated to taxi duties.
scott

Postby crazyturbo76 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Heihachi_73 wrote:
scott wrote:Taxis had a 6-7 year limit? I've noticed there are still a few BF wagons out there earning their keep with thirteen crabs, with Ford not bothering with an FG/FG-X wagon despite having ute versions.

I've seen a few Camry liftbacks (SV11) on the road, but being a generic-looking 80s car they don't tend to get much notice though.

I think the "justification" for Ford not having a FG station wagon was because they wanted to focus mainly on a Mondeo station wagon (not to mention it would have been cheaper for them to not have to make tooling for a FG wagon). And look how that turned out. Nowadays you see the smaller Focuses and Fiestas a lot more than the Mondeos, that kinda paints a picture of where Ford's main sales have gone lately.

The BF station wagons are still used as taxis, if very uncommon, in NSW. Otherwise most of the big taxis are Carnivals or Hiaces here. Unfortunately with the current trend towards crossovers in the market (which I accept a lot more than SUVs - they at least are a bit more practical and aren't excessive in the role of driving the kids to school or to the junior rugby league/soccer game), I think the station wagon will more or less eventually go the way of the dodo in terms of market acceptance.

My sister has one of those imported Nissan Elgrand people movers and that thing from what I hear is a maintenance nightmare; the TV in the back doesn't work (if you try to fix it, something else breaks), the in built GPS doesn't work (because it uses an archaic type of GPS that needs to be reimaged with data for Australian roads, not to mention translated into English from Japanese) and parts can be a bit tricky to find these days.
crazyturbo76

Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to The Lunch Room