GMC PD4501 Greyhound (USA) Scenicruiser

Overseas related photos, videos, sound clips etc.

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Tim Williams

GMC PD4501 Greyhound (USA) Scenicruiser

Post by Tim Williams »

P1080214.jpg
P1080214.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 15138 times
Just in case I am thought of as a "one eyed only" supporter of deckers only, I thought I would include this photo, with some information.
I was driving with my wife out of Hershey, Pennsylvania (a famous place for chocolates) a couple of years ago when I spotted a Flxible Coach on a plinth outside a large modern building - this turned out to be a wonderful vehicle museum displaying all sorts of rare vintage and veteran cars, trucks and also some buses/coaches including this wonderful ex Greyhound GMC PD4501. This was one of 1,000 such coaches that were produced in the 1950's, maybe exclusively for Greyhound - they certainly were a great exercise in public relations and were reliable runners, once they ditched the original twin GM 4/71 layout with the troublesome hydraulic transmission with fluid couplings. That original layout was replaced by a single GM 8V-71 driving through a 4 speed manual Spicer gearbox, with electric solenoid selected reverse - same reliable rugged set up as the PD4016's.

They were advanced for their time, fully air-conditioned, had air suspension and were very much a trend setter for the time with those large trapezoid windows and the deck and a half layout Coach travel in the USA at that time (along with rail travel) was very much an accepted fashionable method of traveling the country - cheap air travel had yet to evolve. Styling cues for these PD4501's came from the PD4014, which was the predecessor of the PD4106, which was imported into Australia by Ansett Pioneer as new coaches from GMC and later with some second hand units from Greyhound USA.

Return to “Overseas Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc.”