Indonesia: Jakarta bus-terminal bombing

Overseas Transport Discussion

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

Roderick Smith

Indonesia: Jakarta bus-terminal bombing

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

Deadly explosions rock bus terminal in Jakarta, Indonesia.
News Corp Australia Network May 25, 2017/ A SUICIDE bombing attack outside a busy bus terminal in the Indonesian capital Jakarta has killed three police officers, the latest assault to hit the Muslim-majority country as it struggles with a surge of terror plots.
Two explosions hit the parking lot next to the Transjakarta bus terminal in the Kampung Melayu district about 9pm Wednesday (midnight Thursday AEST), according to The Jakarta Post.
Five other police officers and five civilians were injured when two bombers launched the attack in a street next to the station.
Human body parts — including a severed head — and shattered glass were strewn across the road following the attack, which happened as police were helping to secure a parade by a local group.
Police officers carry a body bag containing body parts from a bus stop where a suspected suicide bombing occurred in Jakarta, Indonesia, Thursday, May 25, 2017. Picture: Achmad Ibrahim/AP Indonesian policemen move a body bag into an ambulance at the site of a suspected suicide bomb on May 25, 2017 in Jakarta, Indonesia. Picture: Ed Wray/Getty Images It was not clear who was behind the attack but Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim-majority country, has been on high alert after a string of plots and attacks in recent times by militants inspired by Islamic State.
The Kampung Melayu terminal in east Jakarta — which is frequented by locals and is not popular with foreign visitors — had been busy when the attack happened, and witnesses described scenes of panic as two blasts rang out minutes apart.
Dicky Wahyudin, 37, said he had been drinking a coffee across the road when the attack happened, prompting people to flee.
“Suddenly I heard two explosions, which were big — I immediately ran away,” he told AFP.
A local shopkeeper, Rosmala — who like many Indonesians goes by one name — added: “At first I saw smoke and shattered glass, the earth was shaking, I was shocked. After a few minutes there was another blast.”
Indonesian police officers stand guard outside Kampung Melayu bus terminal in Jakarta as investigators check a body part found after a suicide bomb blast. Picture: AFP/Bay Ismoyo An Indonesian policeman guards the site of a suspected suicide bomb on May 25, 2017 in Jakarta, Indonesia. Picture: Ed Wray/Getty Images Witness Sultan Muhammad Firdaus told TV station Kompas TV he heard two explosions about 10 minutes apart.
“The explosions were quite loud, I could hear them clearly,” he said.
Witness Rohimat told detik.com: “It was at the Kampung Melayu Terminal. Residents panicked, and ran. The explosion was very loud.” He also said there was a strong smell after the blasts.
National police spokesman Setyo Wasisto told reporters that two suicide bombers had been involved in the attack and three police officers had died. He had earlier said he believed only one attacker was involved.
“I have to convey my deepest condolences because three police officers died,” he said.
The terminal is a local hub served by minibuses and buses.
Police officers conduct their investigation inside a bus stop near where a suspected suicide bombing occurred in Jakarta, Indonesia, Thursday, May 25, 2017. Picture: Achmad Ibrahim/AP Police officers cordoned of the scene after twin blasts near a bus stop in the Kampung Melayu area of Jakarta, Indonesia. Picture: Achmad Ibrahim Two explosions have rocked a bus station in the Kampung Melayu area of Jakarta, Indonesia. Picture: AP Photo/Achmad Ibrahim Indonesia has long struggled with Islamic militancy and hundreds of radicals from the Southeast Asian state have flocked to fight with IS, sparking fears that weakened extremist outfits could get a new lease of life.
A gun and suicide attack in Jakarta left four attackers and four civilians dead in January last year, and was the first assault claimed by the Islamic State group in Southeast Asia.
Indonesia has suffered a series of Islamic militant attacks in the past 15 years, including the 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people, including Australians.
A sustained crackdown weakened the most dangerous networks but the emergence of IS has proved a potent new rallying cry for radicals.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/ ... 93ff7fac9a
AirBusTrain
Favourite Vehicle: VSTs and Commodores.

Re: Indonesia: Jakarta bus-terminal bombing

Post by AirBusTrain »

What is with these suicide bombers lately?! I wouldn't think Indonesia would get them :| :(
I like big bus and I can not lie.
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

:shock: No....... Not the city that has 210.31 km of BRT!!!! Largest system but not safest I see.. Quick news from Transjakarta website, please translate yourself:http://transjakarta.co.id/ledakan-terja ... nsjakarta/ Sorry in a bit of panic... just to let you know, not exaggerating, my background is about 75% Indonesian. :( :( :cry: :oops: :cry:
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Bus Suggestions

Last edited by Bus Suggestions on Thu May 25, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bus Suggestions

BRT corridors affected by the bombings:
- B22, Bekasi Timur to Pasar Baru not stopping at Halte Kampung Melayu
-11, Pulogebang to Kampung Melayu, shortened: Pulogebang to RS. Premier
-7, Kampung Rambutan to Kampung Melayu, shortened: Kampung Rambutan - Bidara Cina
-5C, PGC 1 to Harmoni Central Busway not stopping at Halte Kampung Melayu
-5A, Grogol 1 to Kampung Melayu, shortened: Grogol 1 to RS.Premier
-5, Ancol to Kampung Melayu, shortened: Ancol - RS. Premier

Return to “Overseas Transport Discussion”