Cash payments no longer allowed on flights.

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Bjwh86

Cash payments no longer allowed on flights.

Post by Bjwh86 »

Hi all.

Recently i was travelling on Jetstar and was told by flight crew that cash payments weren’t accepted on flights as of around 2 months ago and only cards are accepted for payments for refreshments from the trolley service. (debit cards, credit cards, ect).

As I barely travel on Australian airlines and my last flight (which i paid cash for a refreshment) was just abit over 2 months ago, I am wondering whether this is something that affects all airlines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Re: Cash payments no longer allowed on flights.

Post by BroadGauge »

Bjwh86 wrote:As I barely travel on Australian airlines and my last flight (which i paid cash for a refreshment) was just abit over 2 months ago, I am wondering whether this is something that affects all airlines?
It is up to each individual airline to decide which payment methods they accept.

If you feel like an alcoholic beverage on a Qantas flight at a time when they are not provided complementary (on weekends, or earlier in the day during the week), they have the opposite requirement in that they only accept cash payment, no cards.
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

A lot of international airlines perform this way now. I recently travelled with SAS and they were EFT-only. We're in the midst of a transformation into a cashless society with the likes of Apple and Google Pay, so I guess it's due time that people start cottoning on.

Cheers,
Mitch :lol:
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I refuse to use EFTPOS due to the transaction costs incurred. So I think I will just refuse to travel with these airlines...

Have coins and notes been added to the list of banned items on planes? I know that bins in CBD railway stations are obviously seen as terrorism threats, as Adelaide removed all the bin years ago.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

TA3001 wrote:I refuse to use EFTPOS due to the transaction costs incurred.
Transaction costs? To you? :o Gee, time to shop around for another bank/CU.
TA3001 wrote:So I think I will just refuse to travel with these airlines...
Which are charging you how much for the actual ticket? (Plus their transaction fees in at least some cases.) :lol:

gld
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

gld59 wrote:
TA3001 wrote:I refuse to use EFTPOS due to the transaction costs incurred.
Transaction costs? To you? :o Gee, time to shop around for another bank/CU.
TA3001 wrote:So I think I will just refuse to travel with these airlines...
Which are charging you how much for the actual ticket? (Plus their transaction fees in at least some cases.) :lol:

gld
Don't forget that retailers often add "transaction costs" to the final price. when paying by eftpos. only 2 or 3%; but if there is no cash option, then it should be absorbed into the list price.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

boronia wrote:retailers often add "transaction costs" to the final price
I obviously don't get out much. :oops:

gld
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Don't worry about transaction costs and if you dip your dual-network debit card in and press savings, the transactions fees for the merchant will be extremely minimal since it'll go through the EFTPOS scheme routing when your press savings. It's only when you tap your debit card that the transactions fees become a "problem" (almost all tap payments route via Visa and Mastercard by default (ie. the "credit" scheme routing)). That's why at Aldi, you can get away with not paying a card surcharge when you press savings instead of tapping it. Even then the fees aren't that high if you use an ordinary credit card or debit card via "credit" schemes Visa or Mastercard.

https://www.eftposaustralia.com.au/abou ... ange-fees/
https://www.visa.com.au/about-visa/interchange.html
https://www.mastercard.com.au/en-au/abo ... hange.html

Return to “General Transport Discussion”