Realtime apps

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Realtime apps

Post by TA3001 »

Just wondering, what does one do to manually update a realtime app such as Transit Times?

It seems to be unsupported now, and with the upcoming timetable changes in Adelaide, it will not be able to provide RT info with vehicle IDs. I think it's the only one that lists vehicle IDs anyhow. Anyhow, I'm no computer expert, so if anybody knows, that'd be cool.

Thanks.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Realtime apps

Post by boronia »

I stopped using it in Sydney a while back because they never responded to complaints or queries. but there was something in the Settings menu that allowed you to update it manually. The automatic update feature never seemed to work here.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ZIB-585
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Post by ZIB-585 »

With all apps, a timetable update needs to be prepared by the developer based on a new GTFS file.

Manual or automatic updates only decide when the update is applied.

Don't expect any updates from Transit Times - the developer has moved on to other apps.

You could try using Tripmate, which is not as good but (in Canberra at least) does supply bus ID against the GPS tracking - where it is available.
Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

ZIB-585 wrote:With all apps, a timetable update needs to be prepared by the developer based on a new GTFS file.

Manual or automatic updates only decide when the update is applied.

Don't expect any updates from Transit Times - the developer has moved on to other apps.

You could try using Tripmate, which is not as good but (in Canberra at least) does supply bus ID against the GPS tracking - where it is available.
Thanks for the suggestion. Does the TripMate 'Lite' version include the vehicle IDs, or is it only the paid version?
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

For Adelaide, neither version currently shows the fleet number. The free version for Canberra shows fleet numbers though...
jibb

Post by jibb »

Transit Times has stopped showing vehicle ID on Services to and from Adelaide Oval for AFL games. Normal weekday and weekend services are still OK at the moment.
howlerbus
Favourite Vehicle: Diesel Buses

Post by howlerbus »

Do any apps show fleet numbers for buses in Victoria and do any besides the PTV app show realtime for buses in Geelong, Ballarat etc.? Tripview only shows real time for Melbourne.
You got a real flash bus, but my one's flash one, eh
And I believe that my one's faster than yours, Mr Bond
'Cause mine's a red one'
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Do any apps show fleet numbers for buses in Victoria and do any besides the PTV app show realtime for buses in Geelong, Ballarat etc.? Tripview only shows real time for Melbourne.
When Offi still supported Victorian timetable data, it provided all of the regional centre bus times as well as Vline trains and coaches. The app I currently use, Moovit, supports regional bus times as well as Vline rail and coach services. A quick look gets times for Ballarat, Bendigo, Castlemaine, Geelong, Latrobe Valley, Lakes Entrance, and Mildura. Presumably all the others as well.

Neither of those apps shows fleet numbers. The only fleet number info I am aware of for Melbourne is TramTracker and Tram Hunter. The former enables search for a specific tram number, the latter shows it when displaying tram journey time info when a specific time is selected at a stop. Is there a use case for non-gunzels having a need to know fleet numbers in an app?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The only general use I can see is if you have left something on a bus/tram, this may help you trace and hence notify the fleet number on which it was left.
Living in the Shire.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

krustyklo wrote: Is there a use case for non-gunzels having a need to know fleet numbers in an app?
A passenger once asked me when a certain bus was coming in Pulteney St once. I checked on Transit Times, and looked up the fleet number to see if it was low floor, as he was in a wheelchair. So, perhaps it does prove useful after all. However, the accessibility display in TT does this as well, assuming the ID is accurate, and assuming one can enable it.

I have not figured out how to trigger this display, so I generally end up searching through a dozen or so departures to try and find an SL202, or something that is appealing.

Fleet numbers can also prove useful when the desto isn't in view of passengers. There are some privately owned Mercs here which do not have side destos, but at the end of the day, it's just a useful addition.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”