• Advertisement

Increaed widths for buses??

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Increaed widths for buses??

Postby Tim Williams » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 pm

The National Road Transport Organisation (NatRoads) is calling for an increase in allowable widths for trucks to 2.55mtrs and 2.6mtrs for refrigerated trucks - they are a powerful body and if this is successful it will naturally flow on to buses - hopefully this happens sooner rather than later!!
Tim Williams

Re: Increaed widths for buses??

Postby PoweredByCNG » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Agreed. Australia should have access to world-class products offered in Europe such as the 2.55m-wide Mercedes-Benz Citaro.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042, ex-Transperth 1114 and ex-STA Adelaide 1549.
PoweredByCNG

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Postby system improver » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 am

Like it or not, the regulations are largely determined by what happens in the largest state - NSW. A short drive around Sydney indicates the problem with having wider trucks and buses, albeit another 5 or 10 cms. Lane clearances are the most narrow in Australia. In Perth and Adelaide, the lanes are nice and wide.
system improver

Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Postby Tim Williams » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:11 am

If you think the roads in Sydney are a problem, then have a look at various places in Europe and their narrow, sometimes hilly, roads and where 2.55 mtr prevails, without obvious problems. Manufacturers, such as Optare, produce narrow buses for areas with particularly narrow roads, which probably originated as cart tracks. Devon in the UK is a good example of this narrow, often one lane roads, with high hedges, restricted visibility and regular vehicle passing places. drivers of buses, trucks and cars all seem to cope with this. Closer to home, look at some of the tortuous roads that 2.55 mtr buses successfully operate along in Hong Kong.

When B Double semi trailers first arrived they were heavily route restricted and there was lots of verb-age about all the problems they would create and so on. Well, they are here now in large numbers and their route restrictions seem to have more or less evaporated and we do not seem to see a large number of operational dramas on the suburban roads. It just requires operational common sense about those roads which are B Double suitable and those which are not - they may still be restricted to certain routes/roads, but I am certain about this as they appear on lots of roads.

So returning to the extra width, the industry bodies are pushing for, I do think that it is about time that we join the rest of the World!
Tim Williams

Postby tonyp » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:44 am

system improver wrote:Like it or not, the regulations are largely determined by what happens in the largest state - NSW. A short drive around Sydney indicates the problem with having wider trucks and buses, albeit another 5 or 10 cms. Lane clearances are the most narrow in Australia. In Perth and Adelaide, the lanes are nice and wide.

In Perth, maybe newer arterial roads have wider lanes, but streets in the older area of Perth are often very narrow, even narrower than Sydney's. We have to consider that, unlike semi-trailers, buses go along all sorts of streets and roads.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby boronia » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:46 am

If you drive along some sections of many multi-lane roads around Sydney, like Parramatta Rd, it is easy to see that the wheels of trucks and buses barely fit within the lane lines, without accounting for the body and mirrors overhangs.

I've lost count of how many mirrors I lost off buses due to cowboy truckers deciding to go past at speed with their trailers floating in the breeze or bouncing off median strips. Even if you see them coming and slow down, it is nearly impossible to create that extra bit of clearance required.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Geo101 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:41 pm

boronia wrote:If you drive along some sections of many multi-lane roads around Sydney, like Parramatta Rd, it is easy to see that the wheels of trucks and buses barely fit within the lane lines, without accounting for the body and mirrors overhangs.

I've lost count of how many mirrors I lost off buses due to cowboy truckers deciding to go past at speed with their trailers floating in the breeze or bouncing off median strips. Even if you see them coming and slow down, it is nearly impossible to create that extra bit of clearance required.

This reminds me of my introduction to driving trucks in Sydney. I suppose I've just gotten used to it.

I was recently reminded of how much of an issue this is by another truck driver who insisted we drive down Victoria Road (from Rydalmere to the city) in the early hours of the morning rather than take Parramatta Road & the new you-beut M4.

I gave him a raised eyelid at that hour of the morning, but he insisted we not use Parra Road. Scary stuff, but I expect a few mirrors have been damaged over the years?

It's an art surely :-)
Geo101

Postby Geo101 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:58 pm

In saying my above post, why the hell aren't all bus lanes designed at a minimum width?

I seriously shake my head at some of the bus lanes in Sydney which aren't wide enough to allow buses to pass traffic in peak hour.

Outside of that, they are car parks.

Seems pointless. If you were to go to all the effort to put in a bus lane, why not make it wide enough, and 24/7?
Geo101

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion