• Advertisement

Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Re: Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast

Postby CompoDelgroCurryman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Im actually working up here driving for a contracted company ....
Will give my opinions at the end of the event !!
Watch this space
CompoDelgroCurryman

Postby CompoDelgroCurryman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Reo wrote:Interstate and Intrastate buses have begun arriving on the Gold Coast to help out with the Commonwealth Games. Does anyone know where all these extra buses will be 'housed' during their stay ?

Yard A and B Coomera . Days rd , thats where im parked
CompoDelgroCurryman

Postby CompoDelgroCurryman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:33 pm

One more night to . A lot of busses a d coaches have already left.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but 6 years supposedly in planning , i must say the organisers have fallen short of expectations !!!!
CompoDelgroCurryman

Postby tonyp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:25 am

CompoDelgroCurryman wrote:Im actually working up here driving for a contracted company ....
Will give my opinions at the end of the event !!
Watch this space

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

I understand that about 2.5 million people were carried by public transport during the games, of which 1.2 million were by tram.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby 1of55 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 pm

A news item from the Gold Coast Bulletin 19 April 2018-04-19 ‘State ‘gets cracking’ on light rail business case’

‘More than 1.1 million people’ (less than 1.2 million, an estimate anyway as many were traveling free and there are no passenger counters on the trams) ‘used the light rail during the commonwealth games as momentum builds behind the southern extension of the tram system.’
The news item goes on to say how the Minister is planning to spend $600 million to extend the tram to Burleigh Heads. (Not to the Gold Coast airport which is further on, passengers and their luggage will have to continue to use the buses)
I have no objection to the Gold Coast having a good transport system ( The CGCC are again chipping in presumably) but resources are finite and many areas within 60 klm of Brisbane have no bus or rail public transport, except school buses, and could well do with some money spent on public transport in those areas.
Surfside in my view have provided a comprehensive bus service to the Gold Coast and Northern NSW area, round the clock on some routes.
Attachments
XDi 367 8 3 2014.jpg
On the way to Burleigh Heads
XDi 367 8 3 2014.jpg (196.7 KiB) Viewed 83 times
1of55

Postby tonyp » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:51 pm

There are counters on the trams, plus head counts were being taken. Information from KD is that 50% more people than anticipated used the trams - nearly four times the normal daily average. That indicates, not only the significantly greater capacity of a tram service, but the ability to absorb sudden huge increases in demand.

Nothing wrong at all with bus operations but they have less capacity and have an important role as feeder services. It's lucky that the light rail is there on the main corridor though. Buses would never have been able to handle that level of additional demand. I believe Gold Coast is also saddled with those silly little Bustech buses with loading and unloading through the front door only. If there was a fleet of nice big Volgren three-door artics, the buses might start doing some serious work. Brisbane should learn some lessons from this event but they won't.

Burleigh Heads is only stage three of the light rail. the next stage after that is to reach the airport.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Merc1107 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:09 am

In relation to the brief discourse on Perth Stadium; so far it has been realised that not only are the Stadium buses quicker and easier to utilise than the railway network, but they are carrying significantly greater numbers of passengers than expected... If only articulated buses could be utilised :shock:
The operation changes a bit from week-to-week; although the majority of hiccups have now been dealt with and passengers are whisked away quickly and effectively.

The issue we have is that most feeder services are only hourly on weekends (which at this time of year is when events are predominantly occurring), meaning many people are still journeying in their cars. Information about en-route connections with Stadium Buses (i.e. "at this stop, you can change to x bus, operating every x minutes") is not provided.
Additionally, patronage from those travelling for free with their tickets is not counted if they board a regularly scheduled service.
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: 'All' High-Floor Units

Postby tonyp » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Merc1107 wrote:In relation to the brief discourse on Perth Stadium; so far it has been realised that not only are the Stadium buses quicker and easier to utilise than the railway network, but they are carrying significantly greater numbers of passengers than expected... If only articulated buses could be utilised :shock:
The operation changes a bit from week-to-week; although the majority of hiccups have now been dealt with and passengers are whisked away quickly and effectively.

The issue we have is that most feeder services are only hourly on weekends (which at this time of year is when events are predominantly occurring), meaning many people are still journeying in their cars. Information about en-route connections with Stadium Buses (i.e. "at this stop, you can change to x bus, operating every x minutes") is not provided.
Additionally, patronage from those travelling for free with their tickets is not counted if they board a regularly scheduled service.

Perth stadium is the highest-capacity venue in Australia to be served exclusively by public transport, which is a very high bar for PTA to aim for, but do it they must because there's no provision for cars. When you say people are driving, this must be to the other side of the river from where they must walk or catch a bus or train. The last leg to the venue cannot possibly be by car.

Of course the buses are well run - there's Transperth's class act and there's the blundering rest of Australia's bus systems! Like the rest of Australia, they could certainly use many more more artics though, proper low-floor, three door ones with real passenger-processing capability (including all-door loading at events), not the compromised high-floor two-door ones like in Canberra and Adelaide. The Australian artic fleet is nowhere near big enough for the growing patronage in our cities, though Volgren recently announced that there was a large upswing in demand for them, which is great if sustained.

I always felt that it might be a struggle with the trains at Perth stadium because they mostly have to stop and reverse, which always constricts an operation. The major former tram systems in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane and especially Sydney were looped at major venues so that the trams could run through in one-directional streams, which gave them huge and rapid crowd-moving capacity. It's the model that's still used in Europe but seemingly forgotten in most of the rest of the world. Although there is probably ground-space for looping at Burswood, it would no doubt have added significantly to the cost of the project and has to be supported by fleet size and capacity to absorb the extra trains on other parts of the system.
tonyp

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion