Bus Australia Photo Gallery & Board Photo attachments

News and comments about this board.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Bus Australia Photo Gallery & Board Photo attachments

Post by Fleet Lists »

About 18 months ago the Photo Gallery was resurrected so that more photos could be added.

During the first six moths or so I added photos from various old galleries which Bus Australia had used prior to this one.

And after that I kept adding various other photos which I obtained from various sources.

Then in November last year when we lost the sytem, all photos added from March 2010 to November were lost and could not be retrieved. This resulted in a loss of interest by myself until about a month ago when I recommenced adding one photo a day which are selcted from attachments to the board using photos from members who do not object to my doing that. This is resulting in mainly New South Wales photos being added.

Some members of the board have also joined the gallery and do at times add their photos to public or their own galleries.

There is also the facility for guests to add photos to a limited number of galleries. Some photos added are of a doubtful quality and three added recently have been left there but I do not intend to leave them there indefinitely.

All members are invited to add photos either by joining so that they can create their own galleries or as guests. But please ensure they are of at least a reasonable quality. Please PM me if you want to join.

At one time all members of the board were automatically members of the gallery but subsequent updates of the software have unfortunately not allowed this to continue.
Last edited by Fleet Lists on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enlarged subject
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Bus Australia Photo Gallery

Post by Fleet Lists »

Since my previous post three further members of the board have been given access to the photo gallery but none have uploaded any photos so far. Two of them have actually visited the gallery as members.

The uploading of photos by guests is now limited to one gallery only ie the one specifically created for guests. Admins can then move them to other galleries if consisered appropriate.

There are facilities in the gallery to add comments and to rate photos from 1 to 5. To date that was limited to members only. As from now guests can also access these facilities on a trial basis.

As at today there are 371 photos which have received ratings at some time but all prior to 2010.

I am still adding one photo a day selected fom attachments to this board by people who I know allow me to use their photos for that purpose. If anyone else allows me to use their photos, please let me know by pm. There is no guaranateee that any one photo will be used considering I am only using one a day.
Living in the Shire.
Kurt
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Unique

Post by Kurt »

Since the guests have been allowed to make comments, the gallery has come under attack with lots of spam comments. They mostly have random spam messages followed by "wow, the colors are amazing..." I dont think that guests will be able to make comments much longer...
Bus Videos Regularly Updated - http://www.youtube.com/henergy1994
R44
Favourite Vehicle: MO-8205

Post by R44 »

Fleet Lists, Is there a Spam Filter of some sorts??
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Not that I know of - I have stopped the guest comments as Kurt thought I might be doing.
Living in the Shire.
R44

Post by R44 »

I will let you know if my experiments turn something up... Ive installed the software in Localhost.

Ben
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

With all recent visitor photos either not up to scratch or having insufficient information about the photos, I have stopped visitor uploading.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fleet Lists wrote:Since my previous post three further members of the board have been given access to the photo gallery but none have uploaded any photos so far. Two of them have actually visited the gallery as members.
None of these three have posted photos so far.

A member from New Zealand who was quite a prolific poster of photos has also not posted any photos for a while now.

On the other hand two members who joined during May have both posted photos which is great.

And our administrator abp has also returned with the additon of 40 photos up to and including today.

To give a bit more variety I have included 5 photos from WA in the past month.
Living in the Shire.
Vitalstatistix
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NL262 with VoithDIWA 851.3

Post by Vitalstatistix »

Fleet Lists wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote: A member from New Zealand who was quite a prolific poster of photos has also not posted any photos for a while now.
Ah, yes :oops: Should be uploading photos soon once I replace my camera which ended up in many thousands of pieces a few months ago.. :(
im zug zum flug

The road to success is always under construction.
Check out my Instagram @scottsiakia90
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Another quiet month as far as additions to the Gallery are concerned.

I have been adding a daily photo from recent discussion board attachments except while I was away in Central Australia and am now catching up by adding two a day. Abp had also added a few more while a few other memebrs have also added some. Some new memebrs have still not uploaded any.

Once I have caught up with my daily quota I will keep adding two a day but using some other photos.

I have added an email address to the front page of the gallery suggesting photos from non members can be sent to that email address instead of them being posted direct.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Things have changed a bit more since I posted on 1st July.

Over the past few days I have started to include more photos ion the gallery, mainly using photos from the attachments which are about to be deleted after 2 years. I am only using photos from members who allow me to use such photos. If anyone else would like to have their photos saved, please let me know. I do not think I will have the capapcity to do all photos so it will be on a selected basis.

Instead of deleting a whole month's photos which are two years old, at the end of the month I am now daily deleting some photos once the number exceeds 12725 and they are at least two years old. This wil change once I get to the point where all photos before the lost ones in the crash - this should occur by the end of this year. I will advise further what will happen then.

In the case of July 2009 photos which I have added so far, and there will be more over the next few days, I have created a Monthly album for July 2009 which had not previously existed.

Today I found another 56 attachments which part of the system thought were still there but had in fact been lost in the crash. So gradually we are finding all of them.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

A small change of plans.
This week I will be deleting attachments which are more than two years old and which are in excess of 12800 attachments.
And I will be increasing that figure by 100 each week (excluding any week that I am away).

And removed another three "Phantom" attachments I found today. Currently we have 12697 attachments.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Bus Australia Photo Gallery & Board Photo attachments

Post by Fleet Lists »

This is a monthy update on the Photo Gallery and Board attachments which is now a combined subject.

I changed the increase to the number of attachments so that it is now increased by 150 a week and that will include weeks I am away. I have used that for the past two weeks and during the first week I deleted 25 attachments to keep the number under the limit while in the second week I did not delete any. So the oldest attachment is now dated 3rd August 2009. But keep in mind that we do not have any dated from 26 March 2010 to 6 November 2010 as they were lost in November 2010. So once we get into the period two years after that gap, things will be a bit different but I will address that when we get to it and as deemed necessary.

I have been uploading five photos a day iinto the gallery - the emphasis on Canterbury Bus Lines and buses in TNSW livery has seen a somewhat different patternm to what would normally be uploaded. This may continue a little bit longer as there are still a few Canterbury Bus Lines/Greenacre Bus Co ones to come. And of course the end is not in sight for the new TNSW livery.

There have been a few photos uploaded by others - more would be appreciated to give more variety than just what I want to upload.

I will be away for a while during September when nothing will happen.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

We dont appear to have any problem with space for attachments now.

The number of attachments added varies considerably from week to week - last week over 300 attachments were added which is more that the total for the previous two weeks combined. I am still gradually deleting some older attachments with about 150 deleted in the past week.

The uploads to the photo gallery are much centred around Caringbah Bus Service at the moment with the sale of its routes to Veolia. Once that is completed there will be more variation.

On a personal note, I have started to take a few photos myself and while they would certainly not be world class I am adding some to a personal gallery in the photo gallery and will release then for public viewing some time after they have been upoaded. That way they will not clog the "recent upload" section on the home page as the photos concerned will only become eligible to appear on that page well after other more recent photos appear in that section.

Still not getting many uploads from other members - hence there is not as much variation as I would like to see.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

It has been a while since I posted in this.

I received a new computer for Christmas which lost its hard disk on Sunday with the loss of a lot of software.

I am in the process of reinstalling it all which is something new for me so that may take a few days hence no new photos in the photo gallery until most of that is resolved.

The attachments are not growing at a very fast rate and I have not deleted any for some time now. I will post a more detailed report on that once my PC settles down.
Living in the Shire.
R44

Post by R44 »

Fleet Lists wrote:I received a new computer for Christmas which lost its hard disk on Sunday with the loss of a lot of software.
Thats a Shame. Hope you got a bigger Hard Disk Drive out of it.

Edit: Elongated the term HDD and Also edited the spelling of the word "Hope"

Return to “News & Administration”