• Advertisement

Individual Bus Search Facility in Fleet Lists

News and comments about this board.

Individual Bus Search Facility in Fleet Lists

Postby Fleet Lists » Wed May 07, 2008 5:46 pm

This facility was developed some time ago prior to the conversions to the new databases started and hence was pretty much out of date.

Today a very much newer version has been implemented which has some limitations:-
It only searches the new new or previously existing databases (STA and Admet) - in the case of Buslines CDC and Dysons it has changed to the relevant new databases while all new style databases are searched but NOT those pages which are still in html format - something the old version could do up to a point. Hence the disposal lists are now not searched.
The new Busways database is only searched for the generic search where a range is searched ie m/o 96** where all registrations with m/o 96xx are listed.
I feel it should also be included in the other searches - any thoughts on that anyone? This was not possible under the old system but is now very easily achieved.
So the sooner we now convert the other lists, the better

The other limitation at the moment is that the operator name is only shown as the three character operator code. I will expand that with some extra code shortly.

Variations to input.
All blanks and full stops will be removed form both the rego input and the rego in the data bases before comparison eg MO.3476 or MO 3476 or MO 3476 will all be considered as matches.
All characters of the rego must now be input ie the facility to only input the numeric part of m/o registrations for some databases has been removed.
The facility to input part of a rego followed by an asterisk which then searched for any rego which started with the characters input before the asterisk has also been removed.
However this has been replaced by a new way the search analyses a registration input - any registration inpout five characters in length or greater for non m/o registrations or six characters in length or greater for m/o registrations will automatically search for any registrations which start with the characters input, ignoring blanks or full stops.
The reason for ther length limitaion on this is that we don want people to start searching for such things as MO 1 which could have one 1111 hits and so on.

ACT (with ACTION and Transborder) is now now available as a new state option.

This new version also shows links at the top in the same way as the new fleet lists.

This replaces my recent daily update of the fleet list software at least for today. In future I guess it will vary depending what I am doing on the particular day.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Individual Bus Search Facility in Fleet Lists

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 pm

No changes to the facilities provided today, but in presentation it now uses the new fleets lists format and style sheets.

It is now also fully html 4.01 strict compliant.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Sat May 10, 2008 12:58 pm

With the conversion of Northern Territory to the new database system, the new database there is now accessible for rego/fleet number search.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Sun May 25, 2008 9:34 am

Today the information for operator, depot and livery was expanded to show the full name rather than the code - much more helpful. In the case of depot and livery of course expansion only takes place for those which a code is used. If the full name is in the database, that is used.

And for Veolia NSW the description of W ( white) was corrected.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Tue May 27, 2008 9:29 am

Todays' changes are mainly in this ection so I have covered them all here:-
1. The list of changes in the last x days now has a link behind the registration to the enquiry page to show full details of the bus concerned.
2. I fixed a couple of bugs in the enquiry routine where in one place CDC was in upper case in the code and lower case elsewhere and hence they did not match. And Buslines was Buslines in some places and bua in another - now all bua.
3. For the enquiry produced from the list of changes, a couple of extra parameters are enclosed in the URL ie operator and fleet number to ensure that we get as close as possible to only listing the vehicle concerned. However where there is more than one vehicle with the same rego and same fleet number (or no fleet number) with the same operator, both (or all) vehicles will be listed. Also the generic facility where only part of the rego is input, is also suppressed for these enquiries. as it has also been for enquiries generated from the m/o xx** type of enquiry.

I am planning to display more information about the changes in this type of enquiry in due course but that is a while off yet as it will also require changes to the update script which I have not even started on yet.

And I wont be starting on that before I go on holidays for a while towards the end of this week.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:30 pm

As many would be aware one of the bugbears I have has since going to database format fleet lists as opposed to the old fixed html pages, was that I was not able to show the changes which had been made - while in the old ones the changed fields were colour coded.

Well I think I have come up withthe answer

http://www.busaustralia.com/fleetlists/ ... &busreq=09

This is a link to a bus enquiry on my test folder. It will show all recent changes ( I think it will be up to 60 days but I have not finalised that as yet.). The list of changes already has links to this enquiry. Another thought is to also have a link on the general lists if there has been a change within the number days on which we decide.

Any comments would be welcome. I still need to finalise changes to the update script which will capture this information for use by the enquiry script before we can implement this feature.

At this stage this will only be available in the new format fleet lists and not the STA and Admet databases.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:19 pm

That new version of the script is now being used for real enquiries.

It is now a matter of getting the updates script finalised so that it will create the data for the enquiries. Hopefully that will be finished by the Sunday 21st June - possibly even earlier. It is doing all the right things but just needs to be polished up a bit to make it more friendly to the users.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:40 pm

This is now available for any changes made to the new format fleet lists as from now.

An example is Veolia Transport NSW m/o 8352 where I have corrected the depot code from W to M.
http://www.busaustralia.com/fleetlists/ ... busreq=108

No explanation is given for any buses which are added.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Changes to the new format databases seem to have been a bit slow since I introduced these changes but the changes made to the Queensland lists last night are a good example of what is now recorded.

Once this is working well, I plan to disable the reason facility as that now seems to servce little purpose and takes a lot of unnecessary manual work by the person inputting the changes, while this new system is all automatic.

I also intend to put a link in the main fleet lists behind the registrations of buses which have had a change in the previous 60 days, to the enquiry routine which will show details of the changes.

And once that is done I will need to reword the fleet lists home page about what information is recorded about changes.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:47 am

During the past 24 hours changes have been made to the New South Wales, ACT and Busways databases all showing what changes have been made when enquiries are made on the buses concerned.

Very pleasing results as far as I am concerned.

Any comments?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:00 pm

There have now been some further refinements to the change information in enquiries.

The person inputting any changes for the new format databases only (ie not STA and Admet) will no longer be able to input any reason for change.

This has now been automated with only three reason codes used:-
Bus added - self explanatory,
Changes as listed - if already in enquiry the changes will be listed at the bottom of the enquiry - if this reason shows in the list of changes, click on the rego to go to the enquiry which will list the changes.
Undocumented changes - if the person inputting the changes has elected to suppress the creation of a history record.

This will apply to all changes input as form now except those described in the next paragraph.

Where changes are made to a list during the conversion process using the update script, the details of the change will be documented in the development folder and will not be carried forward to the live folder hence such changes will not show in an enquiry.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:45 pm

The new facility was given a good workout with a number of changes to the South Australian lists yesterday.

All worked well except for one smal thing - where was a chassis type input which contained a ' , the changes did not list.

I have corrected the data which was created and the changes will now list but I still need to investigate why this happened.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:22 pm

A fix has been uploaded to the updates script for this problem.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Fleet Lists » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:17 am

A small bug which prevented Dysons buses being listed if a specific database is nominated has been corrected.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

• Advertisement

Return to News & Administration