• Advertisement

"View new posts" function.

News and comments about this board.

Re: "View new posts" function.

Postby Carlisle 8 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:07 am

T1200. Thanks for the links and particular thanks for your non recommended or endorsed warning. Because of the lack of depth in my computer knowledge, I am reluctant to install something that I don't understand.

As you you had mentioned that you believed that the problem was in the web browser, I had the bright idea of taking my problem to the Apple Discussions Forum. A solution has not emerged yet, but a suggestion was made that I should ask ATDB whether "they have done anything to their pages, especially Java Script-wise?" Does that make any sense to you?

Here's a really interesting development. The unread indicator turned read perfectly for one "view new posts" session on Tuesday night. In another session now operating, the read function has failed again. Very mysterious, to me!
Carlisle 8

Favourite Vehicle: A.E.C. Regal III.

Postby Carlisle 8 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:34 am

After my last posting, I went back to complete my "view new pages" session. I refreshed the "view new pages". I then noted that the threads that I had read previously, were now showing read. That reminded me of what boronia had written earlier in this thread, about changed behaviour of the unread/read indicators.

I had navigated between the threads mentioned in the previous paragraph, using the back button, so doing it that way is still not changing the indicator to read, as it always used to do.

For a reason which is not relevant, I was navigating between threads using the History function, throughout the successful session mentioned in my previous posting. I now see that that must have caused a refresh between each thread, so the success of that session can now be understood.
Carlisle 8

Postby T1200 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:44 pm

Carlisle 8 wrote:Here's a really interesting development. The unread indicator turned read perfectly for one "view new posts" session on Tuesday night. In another session now operating, the read function has failed again. Very mysterious, to me!

Because of your browser's "automatic download" detecting sporadically that there was a change in the page.

Carlisle 8 wrote:For a reason which is not relevant, I was navigating between threads using the History function, throughout the successful session mentioned in my previous posting. I now see that that must have caused a refresh between each thread, so the success of that session can now be understood.

Very relevant! :) The History panel in all browsers I am aware of reload a new copy of each page visited.
Reality continues to ruin my life.
T1200
Administrator

Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310 CNG Volgren CR228L

Postby Carlisle 8 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:56 am

T1200 wrote:OK I understand now.

That is because the search function on this board is still broken - basic functionality is still there, but it is unreliable and usually crashes after you navigate a few pages of search results or use it a few times. The "view new posts" function uses the search function to provide its results.

Ken changed a few settings for me that now causes the search function to crash instead of it bringing the rest of the board down with it (the probable cause of our frequent crashes the when the software was first upgraded).

The function is still not making a complete database of the topics on this forum.

I'll keep checking with phpBB about it...I have been a bit caught up with my studies recently.

The above quote dates back to 20.03.08. I am posting tonight, to ask how things are going with fixing the search function and to report what happened to me today, in the hope that the information may help in understanding the problem.

I was too busy to visit ATDB between Sunday night and Wednesday evening. When I used the "view new posts" function, there were four pages of new posts. I was using the system continually. Having read one thread listed on page 2 of v.n.p., I pressed the back button to go back to the v.n.p. page, but it was unavailable. I couldn't get it via my history function, either. I have come to expect the loss of a v.n.p. listing, if I go away for a while, but this was an unexpected (and disconcerting) apparent disconnection, while actively using the function.

BTW, after the loss of the v.n.p. pages, my last visit date still showed as Sunday. When I lose such pages by leaving my computer for a while, the date and time shown for last visit, is obviously the time at which the disconnection occurred.
Carlisle 8

Postby Ken » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:24 am

No idea why you are having such problems. View New Posts works fine for me when I use it. It will not work properly if you leave your computer for some time then come back and click on page 2 of it some time later. I don't know what the exact timeframe is though.

New posts you have not read in each forum will still show as unread for you whether or not they appear on the View New Posts page(s).
Ken

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to News & Administration