When people are quoting others & news articles

News and comments about this board.
Newcastle Flyer

When people are quoting others & news articles

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

could you please PREVIEW & check your posts that you have the correct name in the quote.

EDIT 00:35 Tue 04 Mar 2008: Permission has been granted to slightly change the title to add a related issue.
Last edited by Newcastle Flyer on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
T1200
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310 CNG Volgren CR228L

Re: When people are quoting others

Post by T1200 »

I agree. I have noticed myself being incorrectly quoted for things I have not said because of the wrong quote tags being edited out of posts.

It has only been a problem since the new software has come in - but nothing has changed.
Reality continues to ruin my life.
Newcastle Flyer

Quoting news articles

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Also when people quote news articles, could they please add the source to the title if possible, such as Tele, DT, SMH, ABC, etc. And when quoting news articles, you don't have to unnecessary copy words such as "print email, etc" While I'm at it please provide a link, (not just a link to the main page of the media site)
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
MAN NG313
Favourite Vehicle: MAN NG313's

Re: When people are quoting others & news articles

Post by MAN NG313 »

One main contributer to this issue I see is that you cannot imbed more than 2 posts, so people get rid of one and accidentally mix posts up and all sorts of wierd things happen.
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Re: Quoting news articles

Post by Simes »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:Also when people quote news articles, could they please add the source to the title if possible, such as Tele, DT, SMH, ABC, etc. And when quoting news articles, you don't have to unnecessary copy words such as "print email, etc" While I'm at it please provide a link, (not just a link to the main page of the media site)
Do we loose marks if we don't?
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Re: When people are quoting others & news articles

Post by Ken »

G1300 wrote:One main contributer to this issue I see is that you cannot imbed more than 2 posts, so people get rid of one and accidentally mix posts up and all sorts of wierd things happen.
This is to stop some lazy people from clicking Quote all the time and us ending up with messages containing 7 embedded quotes which are already shown in the six previous messages.

Yes, getting the quoting code correct can be a little fiddly if you are not used to it, but if you are quoting an entire post by someone you do not need to quote their text at all - you can just refer to them by name and it will be obvious you are replying to their post.

An alternative is if you want to quote a little bit of someone's message from a message which already has an embedded quote, simply cut and paste the relevant part of the message into the reply box then highlight the text you just pasted in and click the 'Quote' button (above the reply box) and you can then type your comments.

As always, the easy way to see if your post is going to come out as you intended is to always click Preview before clicking Submit (just as I have done now).

Return to “News & Administration”