DECS (SA) Changes

Post, sightings, new vehicles, withdrawals, any changes to bus fleets here.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

DECS (SA) Changes

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Saw that there wasn't an existing thread for this, so made a new one that can be used into the future. Anyway just a few corrections for the DECS (SA) lists.

1602 is based at Heathfield, not Ceduna as listed (I see it twice a day)
1581 is at Heathfield as well; at the moment it is not listed as being anywhere.
1428 is not, and was not at Oakbank (at least not for the last 10 years). It was at Heathfield, and has been replaced with 1602 this year.
1367 has been removed AFAIK. It was based at Mt Barker Primary, but has been replaced with a new Hundai (can't remember which one ATM).

Units that have been auctioned off and therefore removed (from Jan/Feb Obs thread, by "TT")

More info to come as I find it.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Heardy_101
Favourite Vehicle: 2000 Class Railcar (Jumbo)

Re: DECS (SA) Changes

Post by Heardy_101 »

Most of the EDSA/DECS/DECD Hinos have been retired and/or withdrawn or sold etc.

Hino AK176K 1432 UQY432 is also now in preservation and privately owned (by me!)
Cheers, Mitchell Heard

South Australian Regional Rail Alliance
www.facebook.com/SARegionalRailAlliance
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

A great shame - they were definitely great school buses, anyone who used them agrees. While the new Hinos and Hyundais take their place, they will never replace the mighty Hinos. Congratulations on getting 1432, at least there's a few in preservation (1286 as well).
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Heardy_101

Post by Heardy_101 »

Thanks again, I love taking the old girl for a spin.

The new Ivecos, Daewoos and Daihatsus and Volvos may look nice with their air con and comfy coach seats but they won't have the endurability as the Hinos. I have been told that the engines, being mid or rear mounted get quite dirty and dusty especially out in the country, especially the Ivecos.

Once I get access to a computer I will post photos of 1432. Have to admit, she looks very content sitting in my driveway (could fit two of them if I really wanted Lol) and she's also due for another after I gave her one the day after I got her.
Cheers, Mitchell Heard

1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Under the 25 year age limits all the listed Hinos and the Toyota Coasters from 1988 should be gone.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Heardy_101

Post by Heardy_101 »

25 year rule is a weird one given I was riding on privately run ex DECS Inters while I was at Clare HS and while at Mount Barker we had the unfortunate pleasure of riding on an ex DECS Bedford owned by Magors
Cheers, Mitchell Heard

1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

The rule change only dates from around 2012.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Heardy_101 wrote:25 year rule is a weird one given I was riding on privately run ex DECS Inters while I was at Clare HS and while at Mount Barker we had the unfortunate pleasure of riding on an ex DECS Bedford owned by Magors
Heardy,The reason you were riding on private operators ex DECS Bedfords and Inters prior to 2012 was that the rates the private operators were being paid to operate their school contracts was not high enough to afford new or late model secondhand buses.They could only afford old buses.Even on the 2012 contracts the tendered prices the vast majority of operators used,due to competitive pressure means only the cheaper Chinese buses were purchased.

Return to “Bus Fleet Changes”