The Original Camel

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
invada1

Post by invada1 »

Windy wrote:Liverpool Transport Co. had a similar double stepdeck (or triple stepdeck, depending on how you call it) IBC with a PMC progress body.
Yes old Peter used to drive it his pride and joy
Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50375989@N00/
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Found this sorting through my collection. Think this is the referred to Liverpool Transport vehicle IBC with PMC triple step-deck body with Kings of Kempsey at the time I took the image.
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13916
invada1

Post by invada1 »

[quote="Centralian"]Found this sorting through my collection. Think this is the referred to Liverpool Transport vehicle IBC with PMC triple step-deck body with Kings of Kempsey at the time I took the image.

Keep looking Centralian you have to have more great shots like these and all those you have already posted.
I always liked how the Kings Coach Lines were almost identical to Kograh Coaches.

Love all that stainless steel easy to wash hard to keep clean and free from dents scratches etc. If replacement sections were needed at the time no problem a few years down the track .....................sorry the fellow who did those died.
Better have driven then never to have driven at all. Even better to have driven them all.

stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

Centralian wrote:Blythe's I think had an Ansair bodied RFW. .
From memory, there were approx 6 of these Ansair RFW's. Ansett Pioneer bought them new for Central Australia use. Their fleet numbers were 201 - 206(?).

Sydney Coachlines finished up with several of them and still had them a couple of years ago. One could always be seen parked at the top of their driveway from the street.

In fact there is a chance that they may still have one sitting in their workshop to this day.
invada1

Post by invada1 »

stajourneyman wrote:
Centralian wrote:Blythe's I think had an Ansair bodied RFW. .
From memory, there were approx 6 of these Ansair RFW's. Ansett Pioneer bought them new for Central Australia use. Their fleet numbers were 201 - 206(?).

Sydney Coachlines finished up with several of them and still had them a couple of years ago. One could always be seen parked at the top of their driveway from the street.

In fact there is a chance that they may still have one sitting in their workshop to this day.
Chester Coaches had one or two in their yard for while around the time Newmans took over. One of which only a few drivers could drive due to the heavy steering and driver set up.

Didn't Kograh have one also ????

Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Here's one of the RFW's / Ansair body with Kings that was there at the same time as the IBC/PMC. These RFW's only had the single stepped roofline:
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13917
invada1

Post by invada1 »

Nice photo Centralian.

RFW didn't that stand for Real F%$$ Wrecks or was it Ruffly Forged Works could have been Rusty Faulty Wagons?
I used to know a Baker who worked there he kneaded the dough.

I just noticed the windows fully sealed glass were these a rebuild or like that from new??

Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I took your advice invada1 and kept looking and this is what I found (I also suspect I've broken the rule of no more than 5 posts, oops!):
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13925
invada1

Post by invada1 »

[quote="Centralian"]I took your advice invada1 and kept looking and this is what I found (I also suspect I've broken the rule of no more than 5 posts, oops!):
<a href=

Better start a new thread Centralian
OR maybe its time we ask the board if we can have an area were we can post Historical photo's like these where it would make it easy to locate and link to for discussions for future reference.
One are a for pre 1960 one for 1960 to 1970 one for 1970 to 1980 vehicles
What do you think Board/Admins.
That way photo's could be preserved for the future members as well as old.

invada1

Post by invada1 »

Just zoomed up on the 3 drivers in the left side one looks like Wrong Way Reynolds. Hard to make out the other two could be the lack of hair glasses and that i had one to many look on his face.

Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I think we've exhausted images of tri step-decked coaches. Yes I agree with you invada1 about a seperate area for historical discussion and images, because there is certainly a volume of traffic going through the photos videos, sound clips page and the old stuff doesn't interest everyone and fair enough. Dave Wilsons research and the thread about the DGT Daimlers being an example of historical info being spread across a number of page titles. But then each state has it's history and images as well. Will you drop the suggestion off to the admin team ?
invada1

Post by invada1 »

Centralian wrote:I think we've exhausted images of tri step-decked coaches. Yes I agree with you invada1 about a seperate area for historical discussion and images, because there is certainly a volume of traffic going through the photos videos, sound clips page and the old stuff doesn't interest everyone and fair enough. Dave Wilsons research and the thread about the DGT Daimlers being an example of historical info being spread across a number of page titles. But then each state has it's history and images as well. Will you drop the suggestion off to the admin team ?

Maybe maybe not more people may yet come across photo's some of these attempts buy vehicle builders to design what was to be the forefront of todays vehicles.

I am about to do that Centralian I will propose it to Dave etc.

invada1

Post by invada1 »

Centralian wrote:I think we've exhausted images of tri step-decked coaches. Yes I agree with you invada1 about a seperate area for historical discussion and images, because there is certainly a volume of traffic going through the photos videos, sound clips page and the old stuff doesn't interest everyone and fair enough. Dave Wilsons research and the thread about the DGT Daimlers being an example of historical info being spread across a number of page titles. But then each state has it's history and images as well. Will you drop the suggestion off to the admin team ?
I direct you to another post lets get on board the bus.
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21412

Jazzy

Re:

Post by Jazzy »

stajourneyman wrote:Sydney Coachlines finished up with several of them and still had them a couple of years ago. One could always be seen parked at the top of their driveway from the street.

Indeed we do. Doubt it will ever see the road again, the front was cut off and replaced with a Mercedes front.
It's sitting about 20m away from me as I type, gathering dust.

Actually there are plenty of pics of our old buses and coaches in an album here but I can't scan them onto the computer.
Don't think they'd work too well if I took pictures of the pictures either, so looks like I can't share them with you.
GM

Re: The Original Camel

Post by GM »

Centralian, what happened to Palmer's of Doonside Albion CCMC Camel Back.
They tried to sell it to me. GM
ozzipic2013

Post by ozzipic2013 »

One of the Liverpool Trans triple decks a couple years ago was behind a servo as you come in to cooranbong
REIDm8

Post by REIDm8 »

From Truck & Bus, June 1972.
The first photo was on the cover, and was taken in the CCMC factory at Guildford.
39a-0010-050-June 1972 r.jpg
39a-0010-050-June 1972 r.jpg (251.17 KiB) Viewed 45003 times
39a-0010-052-June 1972 r.jpg
39a-0010-052-June 1972 r.jpg (255.96 KiB) Viewed 45003 times
39a-0010-054-June 1972 r.jpg
39a-0010-054-June 1972 r.jpg (225.87 KiB) Viewed 45003 times
39a-0010-056-June 1972 r.jpg
39a-0010-056-June 1972 r.jpg (234 KiB) Viewed 45003 times
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Visit http://www.petereid.smugmug.com
Photos of Older Buses, Trucks, Ferries, Fire Engines, Tow Trucks, and Trams
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

Just as an aside from direct input re the Carah tri deck....
Fred was never a follower of fashion and this is well reflected in his choice of coach design as depicted above.
From the first time I met him (at Victoria Point, Qld, in the very early '50's) I would always be drawn to the unusual cars he drove.
On that first occasion he was in a Renault Fregate (pulling a speed boat on a trailer, which was shod with 'soft wall' Michelin radial ply tyres - an absolute novelty back then)
Then came a little Hillman Californian (an upmarket 2 door version of the Hillman Minx, with an enormous wrap around rear window)
I was blown away by his next choice, a Borgward Isabella T/S coupe, which often sat parked by the kerb at Coorparoo while he was away driving.
I recall him turning up in Melbourne in the mid to late '60's when I was based there, in his Jaguar S Type. He was a thorough gentleman and offered me a lunge at it around the Port Melbourne Esplanade area which I'm sure was his repay for my offering him a stint behind the wheel of my earlier Triumph TR4. We were headed around the Putty Road on our way from Brisbane to Melbourne....can't recall why we were doing that together.
At some point during the period he also owned one of those rare Citroen models....a DS I think.
Fred was one of the all-time true characters, inside or outside of the industry!
Last edited by Looselion on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Fred,
Retired here on the NSW Central Coast and unfortunately all his photo mhistory of Redline and Carah have been lost'

His family destroyed his collection prior to arriving into to Gosford.

Prior to his passing I use to print of copies of the Redline thread and forward to him on a weekly basis.

This he enjoyed reading.

If anyone knows people from the Industry please try and have them donate there collections to a group in there state so they are notlost for ever.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

yes to many historic collections have been destined for the tip ,due to family thinking there RUBISH! :twisted: :evil:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Industry wrote:......If anyone knows people from the Industry please try and have them donate there collections to a group in there state so they are notlost for ever.
The ARHS (Australian Railway Historical Society) I gather has quite a reference library / collection in Sydney on rail history that is accessible. I might be wrong as I'm not involved with the Bus Mueum in Sydney, but they would be a prime organisation to have an archivist / librarian and be the keepers of the written and photographic history of bus transportation in NSW (not just government buses) and further afield and have it available to researchers. Bus NSW I understand has the full Ken Magor collection shoved away somewhere but I don't think they're into the history side of the industry (not to any depth anyway). Meanwhile, as Industry says, great stuff is being thrown out by family when the enthusiast or industry identity dies because they ask the question "Who do I give it to because it doesn't interest me ?" - and they don't know the answer. I do believe someone (organisation) in NSW needs to stand up and get the trust of the enthusiast fraternity in NSW as a secure keeper of this history, and show that it's serious about it. Look at the next 10 plus years - there's a very strong chance a lot is going to be lost or split up.

And the reason I came on here and forgot about was seeing invada1's postings. Are you still on here 'invada1' under another name ?
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Herc

Post by Herc »

Hey all, here's a pic of my Tri-Deck Hino Aerocoach with Freighter body. Running a mid mounted Detroit 6v71 V6 2-stroke followed by Allison 6 speed auto, Detroit "screaming Jimmy" in the rear for a/c. FULLY decked out to live in - Sleeps 7, 2 bedrooms, FULL bathroom with flush toilet, shower cubicle and vanity, FULL kitchen with s/steel splashbacks, 4 burner gas cooktop, oven, convection m/wave, 370lt fridge, 4 seat dining, 'Click-Clack' sofa/bed, 50" LCD/LED TV, 1200w solar, 2000w genny, HEAPS of storage throughout, 3 spare wheels on roof with crane to raise/lower them, 5½m roll out awning, 12/24/240v power, 7kg front load washer, 8kg dryer, 1000lt s/steel fresh water tank, 750lt s/steel grey tank, 450lt s/steel black tank, 2x 450lt fuel tanks, 2x 1500w flat panel ceramic wall heaters, indoor & outdoor clotheslines....
Picked this beast up for $3000 recently!!!! Runs and drives perfect, doesn't blow any smoke, rebuilt engine 40,000km ago, drives, stops and steers perfect, has a couple of spots of minor rust, needs some windows and the windscreens replaced (some bastard vandalised it causing around 10K damage), 1 of the 12 solar panels is shattered (thanks to said vandals), has 8 golf cart batteries plus 2x 1000CCA start batteries. EXCELLENT on fuel!!! Did Brisbane Southside to Bundaberg on $50!!!
She's almost ready to hit the road again, will be my full time home as of February 2016, just me and my dog. :)
ANY info on this rig would be greatly appreciated, as I can't find anything online.
Cheers guys,
K.
Attachments
1978 Hino Aerocoach with Freighter Tri-Deck body.
1978 Hino Aerocoach with Freighter Tri-Deck body.
Hino-Motor-Home-Bus.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 44264 times
Live erratically... and drive the same!
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I don't know if your unit is the one I posted way back on this thread next to the Coachways Mercedes and it has gained an extra axle. I don't know if Freighter manufactured any other tri-decks, but this was the only unit I recall ever seeing. The unit I captured with Australian Historical Tours livery had a Hino BT51 chassis number - 41518 and a Freighter body of May 1973 with body number A4313 (this info comes from a November 1975 Fleet Listing compiled by the Historic Commercial Vehicle Association of NSW). I should add it was not uncommon back then for an extra axle to be added at the rear later in life.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have reactivated a number of dead links of Centralian photos in both pages of this thread to make it more meaningful. I would love to use these photos in the photo gallery where they are more accessible, but...
Living in the Shire.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Fleet Lists wrote:I have reactivated a number of dead links of Centralian photos in both pages of this thread to make it more meaningful. I would love to use these photos in the photo gallery where they are more accessible, but...
No problems using the images in the photo gallery. I haven't posted into there previously so if you pm me as to what I need to do I shall forward. Otherwise no problems showing them in the photo gallery.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”